Legislative Branch of SGA
The Legislative Branch is composed of elected Student Senators and at-large committee members. The main body of the Legislative Branch of SGA is Student Senate. Student Senate is comprised of 60 elected Student Senators. In Student Senate, members meet weekly to vote on different pieces of legislation. These pieces of legislation can take the form of bills or resolutions. Bills are binding pieces of legislation that make a political action. This can take the form of funding bills for student organizations or amendments to current SGA and university policies. Resolutions, the other type of legislation, are non-binding and take a definitive stance. Resolutions can call on other bodies to take action or they can commend a member of the university or the community. Additionally, all Student Senators serve as a member of a College Caucus and on a standing committee, each of which is devoted to specific goals.
Speaker of the Student Senate
Kate Thomas, email@example.com
The Speaker of the Student Senate serves as the chief executive of the legislative branch of SGA. The Speaker presides over the Student Senate and is responsible for chairing the SGA Executive Committee, and supervising the officers of the Student Senate. The speaker is nominated and elected by Student Senate and serves a one-year term.
- Preside over Student Senate Meetings
- Chair Senate Executive Committee Meetings
- Co-chair the Tuition & Fees Strategies Committee with the Student Body President
- Serve as a voting member of Faculty Senate and Faculty Senate Executive Committee
- Verify and sign all passed legislation and present legislation to the Student Body President
- Supervise the Student Senate Parliamentarian and the Standing Committee Chairs
- Be a student voice to K-State faculty, administration, and state leaders
Speaker pro tempore of the Student Senate
Brady Kappelmann, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Speaker pro tempore of the Student Senate assumes the duties of the Speaker of the Student Senate upon the Speaker’s absence. Like the Speaker of Student Senate, the Speaker pro tempore is also nominated and elected by Student Senate and serves a one-year term.
- Serving as Speaker of the Student Senate in the absence or at the request of the Speaker
- Serve as the Secretary for Student Senate meetings
- Assist in the coordination of committee appointments
- Assist the Speaker in supervising the Student Senate Parliamentarian and the Standing Committee Chairs
- Oversee the College Caucus Leaders and College Caucus system
- Certify and mail all pieces of legislation
Officers of the Student Senate
Parliamentarian: Ethan Pilchard, email@example.com
Communications Director: Rylee Coy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Elections Commissioner: Nick Saia, email@example.com
Student Senate Standing Committees
There are six standing committees in Student Senate that specifically address areas of concern for the student body. Each Student Senator serves on a standing committee. Most pieces of legislation are created and worked on in committee. Learn More.
There are sixty elected members of Student Senate. Each college or school is represented by at least one Student Senator. Student Senators are duly elected for a term of one year from the main campus student body. Learn More.