Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant is considered gift aid and does not need to be repaid. This grant is awarded to degree seeking undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s degree.

Award and eligibility

Students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility. The amount a student will receive will vary based upon the results of the FAFSA and the number of credit hours enrolled.

There is a limit on how long a student may receive Federal Pell Grant. Eligible students can receive no more than 12 semesters or 6 years (ie. 600%) if attending full-time. Every academic year that a student receives a Pell Grant when enrolled full-time counts as 100% towards the 600% maximum. This is called Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used.

Eligible students are generally offered a Federal Pell Grant based upon anticipated full-time enrollment (12+ hours). The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) will recalculate the Federal Pell Grant based on the student’s enrollment as of the Pell Recalculation Date (PRD). Federal Pell Grants are not recalculated for students who change enrollment after the PRD unless it is determined that the student never began attendance or participated in the course.

Pell Recalculation Dates

In the fall and spring semesters, the Pell Recalculation Date is on the last day for 100% tuition refund for 16-week classes. Your enrollment will be captured at the end of the day. Students will want to ensure that their enrollment is finalized by the PRD.

Fall 2023: September 11

Spring 2024: February 5

Classes added after the Pell Recalculation Date will not increase the student’s Federal Pell Grant. However, if the student’s first enrollment for the term happens after the Pell Recalculation Date, the Federal Pell Grant will be based upon the number of credit hours as of the first enrollment date.

You must participate in all your courses to earn the federal financial aid that is disbursed for the term. If you drop a course before the course begins or if we are unable to verify your participation in a course, we are required to reverse any Federal Pell Grant received for that course. Federal Pell Grant that is reversed is returned to the federal government. The reversal of aid may create a balance due with the University which must be repaid by the student.

The PRD for students participating in a consortium will be either K-State’s defined PRD or the date our office receives the consortium agreement from the host institution, whichever is later.

Frequently Asked Questions