IRS Tax Return Transcript
Tax filers selected for verification and unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval must request a Tax Return Transcript (NOT an Account Transcript) of their 2015 tax return from the IRS in one of three ways:
- Click "Get Transcript by Mail"
- Acknowledge the disclosure pop up box that appears by clicking "OK"
- Complete the required fields (SSN, Date of Birth, etc.) and click "Continue"
- Follow the prompts to request a transcript
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their online request, within 5 to 10 business days from the time the on-line request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested online cannot be mailed to an address other than the address on file with the IRS.
Transcript toll free telephone line
- Transcripts are available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their Social Security Number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed.
- Select the option to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the year you are requesting.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their telephone request within 5 to 10 business days from the time the IRS receives the request.
IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used when requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Complete lines 1 - 4, following the instructions on Page 2 of the form.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. (Do not list Kansas State University as a third party to receive the Tax Transcript. It will be difficult for the Student Financial Aid Office to match a parent's incoming IRS Tax Return Transcript to the aid applicant, as the two names may be different.
- On Line 6, enter "2016" to receive tax information for the 2016 tax year.
- The tax filer must sign and date the form and enter his/her telephone number.
- When requesting a transcript using the paper process, either spouse may submit the request and only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on Page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 10 business days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request.
For fiscal year filers, use the IRS Form 4506-T.
Per federal regulations, we cannot accept copies of tax returns for verification purposes. An official IRS Tax Return Transcript is required. A Tax Account Transcript cannot be accepted in place of an IRS Tax Return Transcript.