Social Work Practice Sequence Admissions
You are a student in the social work program if you have declared social work as your major. However, to receive a degree in social work, you must be admitted to the social work practice sequence - an intensive, immersive Social Work experience during your last three semesters. Throughout the practice sequence, students learn essential skills to be generalist social workers and work with a variety of client populations. Along with two semesters of coursework, the practice sequence includes a semester-long practicum at a social service agency.
During the practice sequence admissions process, students have the opportunity to reflect on their long-term goals while faculty have the chance to understand student needs and capabilities prior to their enrollment in this intensive coursework. Students should apply for the social work practice sequence prior to their last three semesters of coursework.
|When you plan on graduating||When to apply to the practice sequence|
|August 2024||March 2023|
|December 2024||March 2023|
|May 2025||October 2023|
To be admitted to the social work practice sequence, students must have:
- Taken or be enrolled in SOCWK 100, 315, and 510
- Grade of C or above in all social work courses
- 2.5 overall GPA and 3.0 core social work GPA
- A long-range plan completed with your academic advisor that will allow you to graduate in three semesters upon entering the practice sequence
- Learn more about the social work practice sequence in this short video
- Learn more about the application process in this short video
- Contact your academic advisor (email@example.com) or the social work program coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) with additional questions.
To complete your application for the social work practice sequence, please complete the following. References, admission application, and sign-up for admissions interview should all be completed by the end of day on Monday, March 6.
- At this link, sign-up in advance for admissions interviews that are scheduled the week of March 20-23. Interviews will be held via Zoom.
- Email this link directly to two individuals to have them provide a reference for you: https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_85J7PkcVNwZwcyW
- Appropriate references include former/current employers, non-social work instructors, or supervisor for community service hours. Individuals providing your references should complete the form by Monday, March 6. We recommend you complete this form at least a week in advance to provide them sufficient time. You are responsible for ensuring that references are received by March 6.
- Write a personal statement (see instructions here).
- Complete the Admissions Application at this link. This will require you to be ready to submit your personal statement.