Social Work Practice Sequence Admissions
You are a student in the social work program if you have declared social work as your major. However, to receive a degree in social work, you must be admitted to the social work practice sequence - an intensive, immersive Social Work experience during your last three semesters. Throughout the practice sequence, students learn essential skills to be generalist social workers and work with a variety of client populations. Along with two semesters of coursework, the practice sequence includes a semester-long practicum at a social service agency.
During the practice sequence admissions process, students have the opportunity to reflect on their long-term goals while faculty have the chance to understand student needs and capabilities prior to their enrollment in this intensive coursework. Students should apply for the social work practice sequence prior to their last three semesters of coursework.
|When you plan on graduating||When to apply to the practice sequence|
|May 2022||October 2020|
|August 2022||March 2022|
|December 2022||March 2021|
|May 2023||October 2021|
To be admitted to the social work practice sequence, students must have:
- Taken Social Work 100 and either be enrolled in or have taken Social Work 315 and 510
- 2.5 overall GPA and 3.0 core social work GPA
- At least 80 credit hours completed and able to graduate in three semesters upon entering the practice sequence
To complete your application for the social work practice sequence, please complete the following. For spring admissions: References, admission application, and sign-up for admissions interview should all be completed by Monday, October 5 at 5pm.
- Write a personal statement (see instructions here)
- Request two individuals to serve as a reference at this link.
- Appropriate references include former/current employers, non-social work instructors, or supervisor for community service hours. Individuals providing your references should complete the form by Monday, October 5 at 5pm. We recommend you complete this form at least a week in advance to provide them sufficient time.
- Complete the Admissions Application at this link.
- This will require you to be ready to submit your personal statement.
- At this link, sign-up in advance for admissions interviews that are scheduled for Friday, October 9.