Jung Sim Jun, Ph.D, MSW
Ph.D., University of Missouri-Columbia, 2017
MSW, Wichita State University, 2012
B.Ed., Kang-Nam University, South Korea, 1997
Affiliate Gerontology Faculty, Center on Aging
Affiliate Faculty Scientist, Johnson Cancer Research Center
Office: 252A Waters Hall
Office phone: 785-532-4980
Sim joined the K-State Social Work faculty as an assistant professor in 2018. This position complements both of her passion to educate future social workers and to conduct useful research to improve lives of minority elders. She has taught Macro Practice & Theory and Research Methods & Analysis I & II courses. Sim is interested in developing International/Global Social Work and Community Organizational Development courses in the future. Her research interests include Health disparities & health literacy among minority older adults; Cancer health literacy & technology supported prevention programs for older immigrants; Technology use & psychological well-being among minority older adults; Stress, coping resources, & psychological health of older adults. Sim is also a member of Gerontology Faculty at Center on Aging, Faculty Scientist at Johnson Cancer Research Center, and Community Advisory Committee member in Social Work Program.
- SOCWK 568 Social Work Macro Practice & Theory
- SOCWK 330 Social Work Research Methods & Analysis I
- SOCWK 530 Social Work Research Methods & Analysis II: Applied Research
- Health disparities and health literacy among minority older adults.
- Cancer health literacy and technology supported prevention programs for older immigrants.
- Technology use and psychological well-being among minority older adults.
- Stress, coping resources, and psychological health of older adults.
- International/Global Social Work Program Development and Evaluation
- Community Organization Development
- Aging, Health Literacy, and Technology
Awards and Grants
2019-2020 University Small Research Grant, Kansas State University
2019-2020 Faculty Enhancement Program Award, College of Arts & Sciences, Kansas State University
2015-2017 Fellowship, Minority Fellowship Program, Council on Social Work Education
2013-2016 Graduate Research/Teaching Assistantship, School of Social Work, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Roh, S., Burnette, C. E., Lee, Y. S., Jun, Jung Sim, Lee, H. Y., & Lee, K. H. (2018). Breast cancer literacy and health beliefs related to breast cancer screening among American Indian women. Social Work in Health Care, 57(7), 465-482. doi:10.1080/00981389.2018.1455789.
- Galambos, C., Rantz, M., Back, J., Jun, Jung Sim, Skubic, M., & Steve, M. (2017). Older adults’ perceptions of and preferences for a fall risk assessment system: Exploring stages of acceptance model. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 35(7), 331-337.
- Lee, K. H., Jun, Jung Sim, Kim, Y. J., Roh, S. H., Moon, S. S., Bukonda, N., & Hines, L. (2017). Mental health, substance abuse, and suicide among homeless adults. Journal of Evidence-Informed Social Work. doi:10.1080/23761407.2017.1316221
- Burnette, C., Roh, S., Lee, K. H., Lee, Y., Newland, L. A., & Jun, Jung Sim. (2016). A comparison of risk and protective factors related to depressive symptoms among American Indian and Caucasian older adults. Health & Social Work, 42(1), e15-23. doi:10.1093/hsw/hlw055
- Jun, Jung Sim, Lee, K. H., & Bolin, B. L. (2015). Stress and spirituality on the depressive symptoms of older adults in assisted living: Gender differences. Journal of Evidence-Informed Social Work, 12(6), 588-600. doi:10.1080/15433714.2014.96622