Room Scheduling Guidelines
The Office of the Registrar centrally manages ALL General University Classroom space (110-GUC). Classroom space assignment is facilitated by course scheduling software, which uses an algorithm to assign classrooms and maximize space utilization effectively. Any specific classroom assignment for a course in one term does not guarantee a continuing classroom assignment in a subsequent term. Classes are assigned to centrally scheduled classrooms as close to the teaching department as possible. However, proximity does not take precedence over other considerations.
- To maintain proper room utilization, the initial placement of classes into centrally scheduled classrooms is based on building partitions and a 60% fill rate. Past term enrollment capacities are considered when assigning classrooms. Special circumstances, such as accommodating students with disabilities or specific technology needed for a particular class, may take precedence.
- Classes assigned in centrally scheduled classrooms must follow the standard class meeting times to utilize space and provide students with maximum scheduling flexibility efficiently.
- Classes that receive Committee on Academic Policy and Procedures (CAPP) approval for a non-standard class meeting time will be assigned a centrally scheduled classroom at the end of the initial room assignment process. Classes that follow the standard class meeting times have priority in centrally scheduled classrooms.
- Schedulers may not use placeholders, i.e., a non-running class in centrally scheduled classrooms, to prevent scheduling by other departments. If this is an evident practice, priority scheduling and the scheduler’s access will be revoked.
- Schedulers may not contact other departments in an attempt to trade centrally scheduled classrooms. Changes in centrally scheduled classroom assignments should be in consultation with the Registrar’s OfficeScheduler and the Facilities Scheduler. If this is an evident practice, priority scheduling and the scheduler’s access will be revoked.
- Schedulers may request room changes during the final review period before the class schedule appears online. There may be special circumstances that warrant a room change after the final review period, such as accommodating a student with a disability, room renovations, or repairs. The Registrar’s Office scheduler will review centrally schedule classroom requests and determine if a room change is warranted.
- The Registrar’s Office Scheduler and Facilities Scheduler may move classes to a smaller classroom if another class has a larger enrollment capacity. Classes that maintain a 60% fill rate will have priority.
- A class may be temporarily displaced in the event of a room renovation or repairs. The intent is for classes to return to their original room assignment once the room becomes available for use. A room renovation may reduce the seating capacity, and classes may not have the option to return to their original room.
- Departments that do not follow the Registrar’s Office Scheduler Timeline or change meeting patterns when the access to update class information closes will be assigned a centrally scheduled classroom that best utilizes classroom space. The reassigned room may not be within the department’s preferred building. Past term class enrollments will be considered when assigning a classroom.
Approved by: CAPP 9/3/2019