1. K-State home
  2. »Recycling
  3. »Recycling Guide
  4. »What


What can be recycled?

aluminum cansNewspapers and magazines
Tin cansMixed papers


The bulk of recyclable materials generated at K-State is mixed paper, cardboard, newspapers, and magazines. K-State recycles many other materials. Here is a list of what you can recycle at K-State:

Did you know that K-State recycles more cardboard than any other material? Photo taken at the new K-State Recycling Center.
  • Aluminum cans
  • Mixed paper - white/colored/glossy paper, computer paper, shredded paper, index cards, envelopes (except padded)
  • Cardboard - plus card stock, paperboard, poster board, file folders, corrugated cardboard, paper sacks
  • Glass bottles and jars (must be separated from other materials)
  • Magazines
  • Phone books/directories
  • Books, hard-cover and paperbacks
  • Newspaper
  • Plastic containers, #1 through #7
  • Ink Cartridges (from printers, fax machines), collection bins are located in various buildings
  • Wooden pallets
  • Appliances
  • Electrical motors
  • E-waste - computers, printers, screens, keyboards, and most portable media*
  • Batteries**

 *Call Facilities at 532-6446 or email them at recycles@ksu.edu and schedule a pick-up, or bring your e-waste to the Recycling Center. For departmental e-hardware you will need to fill out a DA110 Disposition of Property Form.

** You can arrange for a pick-up with the Department of Environmental Health and Saftey (EH&S)- it takes 30 seconds tops at: http://www.k-state.edu/safety/environmental/hazardous-waste/, or call EH&S at 532-5856. Small batteries may be mailed to EH&S at 108 Edwards Hall via campus mail.

K-State Does Not Recycle:

Adhesives, Binders, Carbon Paper, Paper Towels, Cling Wrap, Food Wrappers, Styrofoam Cups, Wax-coated Drinking Cups, Aerosol Cans, Scrap Metal, Copper, Florescent Bulbs, CDs and DVDs.

Click here for a KSU Facilities Form E Waste Request