Sabbatical Leave Guidelines
- Faculty should review the policies on sabbatical leave in the University Handbook, Section E1-E8. The University Handbook can be accessed at http://www.k-state.edu/provost/universityhb/.
- Faculty are encouraged to seek extramural funding for sabbatical leaves. The grants and contracts office can provide information on various grants and fellowships. Faculty members applying for a sabbatical leave must make formal application to their department administrator no later than November 1 of the year preceding that for which leave is requested. Applications must be submitted to the Office of the Provost by December 15. Exceptions to this deadline may be considered depending on the circumstances. To inquire about exceptions to these application deadlines, contact the office of the appropriate dean. Leaves will be considered on the basis of comparative merit, with the preference given to sabbatical leave requests for a full year at one-half pay.
- Faculty members seeking approval or who are approved for sabbatical leave should contact the Human Capital Services - Benefits to determine the appropriate health insurance plan coverage while on sabbatical leave.
- Faculty must complete the Application for Sabbatical Leave form available in the Office of the Provost, 108 Anderson Hall, or at: http://www.k-state.edu/provost/resources/dhmanual/index.html.
- Faculty must obtain from the department administrator a statement which describes the merits of the proposed leave and outlines the details of how faculty duties will be covered.
- Those approved for sabbatical leave will be required to sign a Board of Regent's Sabbatical Leave Agreement form. Faculty must agree to return to the service of the state institution granting the sabbatical leave for a period of at least one year (9 to 12 months depending on the term of employment) immediately following the expiration of the sabbatical leave.
- Upon return from sabbatical leave, faculty must submit a report on their sabbatical leave. This is due within one month of returning to full time status. Copies of the report should be submitted to the Provost, the college dean, and the department administrator. The report should include the following:
- A brief narrative of your sabbatical activities.
Did you accomplish all you intended as proposed in the original plan of work? If not, why? Were there important activities or experiences that you did not foresee in the original application? If so, what were they?
- A description of the outcome.
Did your sabbatical result in the product described in the original application? If not, what has changed and why?
- A description of the scholarship or professional benefits.
In what ways did your leave provide scholarly and professional enrichment? How do you plan to share this with your students, colleagues, and the larger Kansas State University community?