All first-year students who have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale at the end of any full-time curricular period are automatically eligible for membership, provided they have carried a normal academic load acceptable toward a bachelor's degree.
Life-time membership is conferred upon induction, and maintaining the grade-point average is not required.
Although students will prefer to be inducted with their classmates, eligibility is not lost by missing an induction; one may be inducted at a regularly scheduled induction ceremony.
The membership fee of $45 pays for an academic key or tie tac, membership certificate, and access to the electronic copy of the national publication, The Forum. The fee also pays a portion of the expenses for a chapter delegate to attend the national convention; and a portion goes to the Founders Fund, which provides scholarships each year to members of Phi Eta Sigma for undergraduate study. Scholarships are also available for the first year of graduate study.
- An outward recognition of personal accomplishment and an incentive for continued high scholarship.
- The opportunity to meet scholars from all academic disciplines on our campus and to join them in promoting academic excellence and campus and community service.
- Identifies you to employers, professionals, and graduate schools as a person of superior academic ability and commitment.
- Local chapter and national leadership opportunities.
- A national scholarship program awarded to deserving applicants – six or more $7,000 graduate scholarships; thirty-seven or more $5,000 undergraduate scholarships; and one or more $1,000 undergraduate awards.
- A $10,000 Scholar-Leader-of-The-Year Award chosen from the pool of scholarship applicants.
- Chapter scholarships and awards.
- An affordable national initiation fee of $35, plus local initiation fee.
- A certificate and golden key of membership.
- A national convention and leadership workshops – National pays registration fee, hotel housing, convention meals, and regional entertainment for one chapter adviser and one student delegate representing each active chapter.
- Top quality national publications.
- Access to official Society jewelry, fashion collections, and the opportunity to earn academic regalia.