1. K-State home
  2. »University Operations
  3. »Parking Services
  4. »Permit FAQs

Parking Services

Frequently Asked Questions

About Permits

1. What if my permit is lost or stolen?

If your permit is lost or stolen, you may purchase a new permit for the prorated cost of a new one. The lost/stolen permit # will be placed on a list of invalid permits. Any vehicle displaying that permit will be impounded. When a lost/stolen permit is returned to us, the original owner is issued a refund equal to their cost of a replacement permit, if they purchased one.

2. What if I find a permit, can I use it?

If you find a permit, it may be lost or stolen. Please turn it into Parking Services, or the KSU Police Department. Use of a lost or stolen permit can result in a large fine and the impoundment of the vehicle displaying the permit.

3. May I sell my permit to someone else?

No, you may not sell your permit to someone else. You need to return the permit to Parking Services, you may be eligible for a refund.  Permits are non-transferable. 

4. Do I need two permits if I have two vehicles?

Every vehicle on campus must have a parking permit. You can move your permit from one vehicle to another (except motorcycles). You do not have to buy two permits unless you are planning to have both vehicles on campus at the same time.  Motorcycles require their own permit as you cannot secure a car permit to a motorcycle.

5. Can anyone borrow my parking permit?

You are the only person authorized to use your parking permit. If you allow someone else to use your parking permit, you risk paying any tickets issued while someone else is using it.

6. How do I apply for a Reserved stall in a flat lot?


Campus Parking Rules

1. My meter did not give me what I paid for.

When you place money in the meter, you need to make sure that it registers. Otherwise report the meter to Parking Services (785-532-7275) and if the problem is verified by maintenance, any citations you received while parked in the meter will be waived.

2. What is "Upgraded" parking and how do I get it?

"Upgraded" parking refers to the ability to park in lots adjacent to the Residence Halls. This is based on criteria evaluated by the Housing and Dining Services, not Parking Services. Contact Housing and Dining Residence Life (785-532-6453) in Pittman Hall for more information.

3. What happens if I park in a Reserved Stall?

Reserved Stall owners may choose to have the illegally parked vehicle ticketed, wheel locked, or towed.

4. Can I pay the Parking Control Officer for my wheel lock?

No. Parking Control Officers may not receive money for any citations issued.  See #11 below.

5. Can Parking Control Officers void tickets?

No, Parking Control Officers can not void tickets.

6. Can I park anywhere after 5pm?

After 5 p.m. and before 7 a.m. Monday thru Friday, permits are not required to park in "O, W, T, or Z" lots. Residence hall lots and Jardine lots are patrolled 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the school year, as well as fire lanes and disabled access stalls. Reserved stall signs state their hours of enforcement, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday thru Friday or 24 hours.

7. Are parking rules enforced during breaks, the summer and holidays?

Safety violations such as H/C accessible stalls and Fire lanes are enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Faculty, Staff and Students are allowed to park only in the type of lot specified by their permits during the Fall and Spring semesters.  Between Fall and Spring semesters and during the Summer semester, parking is allowed outside the areas specified by the permit.  Reserved and restricted zones are still enforced.  Parking permits are not required on University Holidays (University closed).  Meters and 12 hour stalls are not enforced during University Holidays.  All other regulations are enforced.  See the Parking Regulations for specific enforcement times.

University Holidays including the following:
  • Martin Luther King Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving and the day after
  • The week between Christmas and New Year's Day
8. What do I do if I need to load/unload material on campus?

If you are loading/unloading material on campus, you should come to Parking Services and get a Loading Permit. This will allow you to temporarily park in the Loading Zone for a limited time period. If you already own a parking permit, there is no charge for the Loading Permit, if you do not own a parking permit, there is a $5 charge ($6 as of 7/1/21) .

9. If I use my hazards lights to park on campus illegally, will I receive a ticket?

Hazard lights will not be recognized as legal parking and the vehicle will be cited accordingly.

10. What do I do if my vehicle is towed?

If your vehicle has been towed, you need to contact Parking Services. All citations must be paid before you may pick up your vehicle. The wrecker company will not release your vehicle without notification from Parking Services.

11. What do I do if my vehicle is wheel locked?

Upon receiving a wheel lock, you need to come to Parking Services Office and pay the citations that are owed or go online to www.ksu.edu/parking and log in to your parking account and pay the citations. When this is done, the vehicle will be released.  After regular business hours only, please contact KSU Police Department at 785-532-6412 or 108 Edwards Hall.

12. Do I get a "Free" ticket?

Visitors to campus that receive a "No Valid Permit" violation, can send in their ticket and receive a reduced cost of a one day permit. Visitors are required to pay all other violations. All tickets issued to Faculty/Staff and Students will be enforced.

13. The meter I parked at is broken, what should I do?

If the meter that you parked at is broken, you need to report it to Parking Services immediately by calling (785)532-7275. Please notify us of the meter number and location. If you have received a citation on a meter that has been reported malfunctioning and Parking Services verifies the malfunction, we will waive the citation. It must be reported to Parking Services immediately or you will be held responsible for the citation and any late changes that may be added.

About Tickets/Citations

1. What if someone else was driving my vehicle and got a ticket, am I responsible for it?

Citations are the responsibility of the KSU permit holder, state registered vehicle owner, or connected to KSU Faculty/Staff/Student.