1. K-State home
  2. »Non-Traditional & Veteran Student Services
  3. »Getting Started
  4. »Distance Education

Non-Traditional & Veteran Student Services

Academic Alternatives through Distance Education

Some non-traditional undergraduate students find it difficult to take classes during the day or to come to the Manhattan campus. Some students want to accelerate their course work. How long it takes to get a degree depends upon the person and the curriculum requirements.

If you are starting as a freshman with four or more years of school ahead, set intermediate goals such as: becoming a sophomore; earning the equivalent of an Associate of Arts (2 years); accumulating enough hours for a salary increase, etc.

Consider some scheduling alternatives from Global Campus.

K-State at Fort Riley

Courses offered at Fort Riley are taught by K-State faculty. K-State has a full-time coordinator at Fort Riley to assist students. Contact Global Campus, 131 Global Campus Building or call 532-5566. If you are at Fort Riley, call 784-5930, go to Building 217.

Distance education opportunities

For over 30 years, K-State has been offering courses and degree programs in new and innovative ways to students who are not geographically located near the Manhattan campus. Today, non-traditional students across the country want to complete their education, advance their careers, or change their profession. Global Campus provides students with the opportunity to pursue these goals without leaving a current job or family. In order to succeed, it takes dedication, self-direction, and perseverance on the part of the student. Complete Global Campus course information online.

Bachelor’s Degree Completion Program

A K-State program designed generally for people who have completed 60 semester hours of course work. The format provides an opportunity for students to complete their degree. Occasionally, K-State admits students with fewer than 60 hours. Obtain information about the program and other criteria by calling 800-622-2KSU in Kansas or (785) 532-5687.

Intersession courses

Intersession is conducted during three major breaks in the academic calendar: early January, late May, and early June and August. Students are encouraged to consult with their advisors to determine if a particular course will fulfill specific degree requirements. Contact 785-532-5566 or 1-800-432-8222 for more information and enrollment.

Independent study by correspondence

The Kansas Board of Regents designated the University of Kansas as the correspondence school for all Kansans. These courses are similar in content to on-campus courses and are approved by appropriate university departments. Call toll free: 877-404-5823 or from Kansas: 785-864-5823. Obtain a catalog from Global Campus in Manhattan.