Juried Portion (During Finals Week)
Prepare an art song and perform it with a singer at a performance-ready level. (Art songs available upon request)
Variable by semester. See Dr. Houser for more information.
In-Class Tested Areas (these can be prepared outside of class)
All major and minor scales (harmonic form), one-octave-plus-one format in right hand, standard fingering, with chordal accompaniment in left hand (see example pdf). These will be judged by fluency and steadiness, not a fast tempo.
Level 3, 4, and 5 cadences in all major and minor keys (see examples pdf).
Traditional harmonization of a folk song
- Provide chords, then create an accompaniment pattern in the left hand while playing a melody in the right hand.
- Transpose the above folk song to any key within a major second interval above and below the original key to a key not more than three flats or sharps; the accompaniment can be in blocked chords, not a pattern.
- Using the above harmonization, create a simple two-hand accompaniment pattern using roots and fifths of the chord in the left hand and close-position chords in the right hand in the key used in part 2. Sing the melody as you play.
Transposition of a two-voice linear piece
Transpose to any key within a major second interval above and below the original key, to a key not more than three flats or sharps.
- Play any two parts of an SATB open score at rehearsal tempo and steadiness
- Play a hymn at a congregational-singing tempo.
Improvise a melody with given chord symbols.
Prepare the three requested patriotic songs and be able to play any requested one(s) with faculty singing: The Star Spangled Banner, My Country ’Tis of Thee, and America the Beautiful (copies available from Dr. Houser).