1. K-State home
  2. »DCM
  3. »K-State News
  4. »Media Guide
  5. »Photo and Video Guidelines

K-State News

Photo and Video Guidelines at Kansas State University

This policy applies to any type of photography — stills, video and film — to print and broadcast reporters with cameras and to commercial photographers and videographers.

Unauthorized Use

Unauthorized use of the university's names and the campus names, unofficial seals, or trademarks, or uses contrary to this policy, will be investigated and the restrictions set forth in this policy will be enforced by all reasonable and legal means by responsible campus officials.

Commercial Projects

Commercial projects require special permission from the Vice President for Communications and Marketing, 785-532-2535, vpcm@k-state.edu. See detailed guidelines below. Commercial photographers who wish to take and sell photos or video of campus landmarks and buildings must be licensed by the university. Contact the Director of Licensing, 785-532-6269, or send an email to logos@k-state.edu.

Political advertisements may not imply endorsement by Kansas State University. Therefore, K-State's landmarks, buildings, grounds, mascot and/or logos may not be used in any political advertisement. In keeping with the Kansas Board of Regents policy on political use of campus facilities, photographs and videos which use K-State's name, buildings, landmarks or other indicia shall not be used in advertising which promotes candidates or parties.

News Photography/Video

Outdoors on Campus

News photography and videotaping is generally permitted in outdoor, public areas of campus as long as the story pertains to or involves the university or a member of the university community.

Special permission to film for daily news stories and events is not typically required in common outdoor areas on campus.

K-State maintains a variety of outdoor research facilities and laboratories on campus and in other locations throughout the state. Prior authorization to film at these locations is always required.

Interior Spaces on Campus

Permission to shoot in interior spaces is required in all circumstances. This includes residence halls, dining areas, classrooms, laboratories, administration buildings and other facilities.

In the event of a critical incident or emergency requiring police or fire response, access to areas usually open to media may be limited to allow emergency personnel to ensure safety and security. In those instances, media should follow guidelines provided at the site of the incident.

Classrooms generally are not open to the public or to the media while class is in session. Individual professors may grant media access to class sessions.

Each building on campus has a building supervisor, who should be contacted for permission to film in a specific building. To determine who is in charge of a building, phone 785-532-6373.

Housing and dining services, 785-532-6453, must be contacted for permission to take photos or video in residence halls and dining areas.

An individual student may choose to grant a reporter or photographer access to his or her residence hall room. In those instances, the media representative may accompany the student into the individual student's living area.

Commercial Use — Commercial Photography/Videography

Advertising that displays or lists Kansas State University as a user of any product or service or as the source of research information on which a commercial product, program or publication is based is prohibited. This prohibition extends to advertising using any name, picture, landmark, building or other indicia.

Approval of an exception to this policy may be granted only in writing by 1) the Director of Licensing if the requested use may be licensable; or 2) the Vice President for Communications and Marketing for goodwill advertising in the best interests of the university.

All commercial use of campus names and trademarks, including the manufacture and distribution of all commercial and consumer products (e.g., clothing, souvenir items, gifts, printed matter, and other emblematic merchandise), or services, bearing the Campus Trademarks, is permitted only by license or authorization from the director of licensing. All such licensed or authorized products must be distributed through the campus stores or by authorized licensees of the university.

Campus Resources

Video B-roll of the campus is available from Video Production Services, 785-532-2535.

Digital and printed photos of campus scenes and events, faculty, and historic shots are available from Photographic Services, 785-532-2535.

News and Communications Services also has stock photos and videos available to the media.

Media needing assistance with setting up photo, film or video shots may contact News and Communications Services, 785-532-2535.

Parking on Campus

Area media who cover K-State and who frequently are on campus for business may obtain a parking pass for the calendar year through Communications and Marketing, 785-532-2535. The pass allows parking in faculty-staff parking areas without paying a fee. Those requests are subject to the approval of the director. Some parking spots are designated for use only by university-owned vehicles or are reserved for specific persons during specific hours and must be respected. Holders of the pass must observe traffic and parking regulations and are responsible for any fines or fees incurred.

Media who occasionally come to campus for stories may request a one-day parking pass, which can be picked up from Communications and Marketing, 128 Dole Hall.

Those who come to campus to cover athletics events may request parking accommodations through the Athletics Communications office, 785-532-6735.