A Year-Long Leadership Development Program for K-State Students
The Snyder Leadership Legacy Fellows is a year-long program for students entering into their final year at Kansas State University. Students are selected each spring to deepen their knowledge of leadership, connect with mentors to explore the transition from student to professional life, elevate their passion for service, and experience real-world opportunities to exercise leadership skills. Snyder Fellows experience personal and professional development rooted in Coach Snyder’s 16 Goals for Success. The ultimate goal of the program is to develop change agents on campus, in the community, throughout the state and beyond.
Annual Activities and Events
- May retreat: Fellows kick off the program in May with an all-intensive, two day retreat. Fellows get an overview of the history and importance of the program, build on their leadership and professional development, interact with K-State football alumni and establish a sense of community as a cohort.
- Monthly meetings: Fellows participate in meetings to continue building community with one another and focus on their leadership/professional development through guest speakers (athletes, scholars, and business leaders) and workshops.
- Coaching: Throughout the fall and spring semesters, Fellows will be paired with a peer coach to meet with on a monthly basis. Coaching sessions are focused on the transition from college to career. Coaches might be alumni, faculty members or professionals from around the nation.
- Youth mentoring: Each fall, the program partners with Manhattan Parks and Recreation to provide youth coaching for the Manhattan community. Fellows work together in coaching teams to mentor players in various sports for 8-10 weeks of the fall semester.
- Ambassadors: Fellows serve as ambassadors of the program at various events involving the Staley School of Leadership Studies and Coach Snyder’s legacy. Responsibilities range from attending as guests to volunteer assistance.
- Service-learning: The program works to uphold Coach Snyder’s values of service and community by providing Fellows with service-learning experiences in Manhattan and surrounding midwestern communities.
- Coffee talks with Coach Snyder: Offered several times a year, these are an opportunity for Fellows to engage in small group conversation with Coach Bill Snyder. Fellows help drive conversation with questions regarding Coach Snyder’s legacy and other topics relevant to their growth and development.
Get Your Copy of Leadership Lessons from Bill Snyder
We are excited to announce that Dr. Robert Shoop and Dr. Susan Scott's book, Leadership Lessons from Bill Snyder, was updated in 2015 and is available locally at Manhattan's Claflin Books and Copies.