Virtual Private Networking
K-State's Virtual Private Networking (VPN) is GlobalProtect. The VPN should be used when you need to access protected proprietary and confidential data and campus resources when working offsite. From off-campus, use the VPN to connect to campus resources securely remotely.
Systems/tools that require the VPN include:
- Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) to campus computers
- Accessing files on Catfiles or other campus file servers, e.g, W: or Y: drives
- The Financial Information System (FIS)
- Campus websites and services that are restricted to on-campus use only
- Check with your unit/department to see if you have additional requirements
VPN is not required for the following:
- Zoom videoconferences
- Watching a streaming video, e.g., Mediasite, YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon
- Accessing webmail, Canvas, CMS, KSIS, Office 365, ServiceNow, or HRIS
To use the VPN software, you must be a K-State student or employee with an active K-State eID and have an internet connection.
To learn if your operating systems are compatible with GlobalProtect, view the Where Can I install the GlobelProtect app guide.
Note: Enter only your eID as your Username. Do not enter your email address.
- Install and Connect to the GlobalProtect VPN on a Windows computer
- Install GlobalProtect on Android device
- Install and Connect to the GlobalProtect VPN on a Mac
- Install GlobalProtect on iPhones and iPads
- Download the Linux App
- Install GlobalProtect VPN for Chromebook and Chrome OS
Why should I use the VPN?
Using K-State's VPN service, you assure that the data you transmit or receive will be secure between your computer and K-State. While your password is encrypted using a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), traffic between the VPN firewall and the computer you are communicating with will not be encrypted unless you use SSL-enabled applications. The VPN provides security by encrypting and decrypting data that passes through the VPN.
VPN for third-party vendors
A dedicated VPN group for third-party vendors is available that allows connection to systems only accessible on-campus due to existing local address space or protection by firewalls. Each individual that needs access to this VPN group must register for an eID. In addition, the K-State employee sponsoring their access must complete the special access eID form.