Virtual Private Networking
From off-campus, use the VPN to remotely access protected, sensitive data, and campus resources in a secure manner. Because the VPN connection is shared with all K-Staters, the VPN should only be used when necessary. Disconnect from the VPN when access to protected resources is no longer needed.
Systems/tools that require the VPN include:
- Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) to campus computers
- Accessing files on Catfiles or other campus file servers (i.e., W: or Y: drives)
- The Financial Information System (FIS)
- Campus websites and services that are restricted to on-campus use only
VPN should not be used for the following unless you are also using one of the above resources:
- Zoom videoconferences
- Watching a streaming video (Mediasite, YouTube, Netflix, etc.)
- Accessing webmail, Canvas, the CMS, KSIS, Office 365, or HRIS
Getting VPN software
To get the VPN software, you must be a K-State student or employee with an active K-State eID and have an internet connection.
Note: If you have Trend Micro antivirus installed on your Windows computer, you MUST uninstall it before installing GlobalProtect VPN. K-State no longer supports trend Micro antivirus. To learn more about K-State's approved antivirus software, view the K-State Antivirus Software page.
To learn if your operating systems are compatible with GlobalProtect, view the Where Can I install the GlobelProtect app guide.
Note: Enter only your eID as your Username. Do not enter your email address.
- Install and Connect to the GlobalProtect VPN on a Windows computer
- Install GlobalProtect on Android device
- Install and Connect to the GlobalProtect VPN on a Mac
- Install GlobalProtect on iPhones and iPads
- Download the Linux App
- Install GlobalProtect VPN for Chromebook and Chrome OS
Why should I use the VPN?
By using K-State's VPN service, you assure that the data you transmit or receive will be secure between your computer and K-State. While your password is encrypted using a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), traffic between the VPN firewall and the computer you are communicating with will not be encrypted unless you are using SSL-enabled applications. The VPN provides security by encrypting and decrypting data that passes through the VPN.
VPN for third-party vendors
A dedicated VPN group for third-party vendors is available that allows connection to systems only accessible on-campus due to existing local address space or protection by firewalls. Each individual that needs access to this VPN group must register for an eID. The K-State employee sponsoring their access must complete the special access eID form.