1. K-State home
  2. »ISSS
  3. »resources
  4. »Income Taxes

International Student and Scholar Services

Income Taxes

Income taxes are often complicated even for U.S. citizens.   International student advisers and staff do not have the proper training or legal authority to offer direct assistance with the completion of tax returns.

As a service to all international students and scholars associated with Kansas State University, International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) purchases a license each year so that you can use Sprintax (a web-based international tax preparation program) to prepare your U.S. income tax return. You can access this service from this page when it is available. 

Who must file a tax return?

  • Everyone must file the Form 8843 whether you have income or not.
  • Received taxable earnings or income over $1
  • Received a taxable stipend, grant or allowance

What Documents and Information Do I Need BEFORE I Login?

Please make sure you have the following documents and information available BEFORE you log into Sprintax:

  • Visa/Immigration Status information
  • Passport
  • Form DS-2019, if J status individual
  • Form I-20, if F status individual
  • Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have been assigned one)
  • Address Information (i.e., Current U.S. and Foreign Address)
  • U.S. Entry and Exit Dates for current and past visits to the U.S.
  • Academic Institution or Host Sponsor Information (name/address/phone for Academic Director)
  • Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if you received any)
  • Scholarship/fellowship grant letter you may have received (if any); and A copy of your last year's federal income tax return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ), if you filed a federal income tax return last year.

How Do I Access Sprintax?

You may access Sprintax from any computer with internet access from anywhere in the world! Simply click on the Sprintax link on the ISSS homepage.

How Can I Get Help?

If you need assistance with Sprintax,contact Sprintax directly: https://www.sprintax.com/contact-us.html. You can email, call or live chat.

What are the implications of not filing?

  • International students and scholars are required to comply with all U.S. laws, which includes those related to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • Filing tax forms (even if only the IRS Form 8843) is a part of maintaining visa status in the U.S.
  • Not filing could affect future immigration status (e.g. H-1B or Lawful Permanent Residence)
  • Fines, penalties, and/or interest can accrue if you owe money to the IRS
  • You might be missing out on a refund!

Useful IRS Forms & Publications