W-2 Information

Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement

Form W-2 is an annual summary issued by employers prior to February 1 each year. It lists the employee's taxable income and the amount and type of taxes that were withheld from paychecks during the calendar year just ended. The explanation for amounts found in each box of the W-2 (Excel) is provided by the Kansas Department of Administration, Division of Accounts and Reports.

Employees have the option to receive W-2 forms electronically in early January through State of Kansas Employee Self Service, or in paper form mailed in late January to the employee's home address. The State of Kansas W-2 combines the income information from all State of Kansas sources, whether multiple departments of the university or other state agencies.

K-State Athletics, Inc, the K-State Student Union and Student Publications employees have the option to access their W-2 through Employee Self Service in HRIS, or have it mailed in late January to the employee's home address. To request a duplicate W-2, employees of these organizations need to contact HR.

Kansas State University is not responsible for a W-2 form being delayed or lost in the mail. Employees may update their W-2 mailing address using Employee Self Service in HRIS.

Accessing your W-2 via Kansas Employee Self Service (ESS)

  1. Use your State of Kansas Employee ID and Password to sign in to State of Kansas Employee Self Service.
  2. Click on W-2: Consent, Reissue, Forms tile to view the consent form. If you agree, click on the checkbox to indicate your consent. Submit and confirm by typing in your State of Kansas ESS password and click continue and OK. Printed W-2 forms for employees who do not consent will be mailed the last week of January in accordance to IRS regulations.
    • If you are experiencing issues in a particular web browser such as Internet Explorer, it is often helpful to use a different web browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Your agency IT staff should be able to assist with internet browser compatibility issues.
    • You can also call the State of Kansas Help Desk at 296.1900 or 1.866.999.3001 if you experience any issues.
  3. Click on View W-2/W-2C Forms link in the State of Kansas ESS W-2 Menu. Click on the Year End Form link to view/print your W-2. Click on View a Different Tax Year link to view/print W-2’s for earlier years.

If you are unable to view your W-2 form after successfully completing your consent, ensure that the pop-up blocker is turned off for your web browser and verify that the ‘Preferred’ e-mail address stored in the payroll system for your account is valid.

View complete ESS Online Access Guidance

If you have not received a W-2 form by February 1 and believe it is lost, please follow the procedures below:

Consent to receive your W-2 electronically

All State of Kansas employees have the opportunity to consent, view, and print their W-2 form electronically through the State of Kansas Employee Self Service. For employees who have not yet consented, log on to the State of Kansas Employee Self Service web site and consent to receive your W-2 electronically. Employees are encouraged to review the electronic W-2 flyer for details. Note, as a State of Kansas employee you must access the State of Kansas web site. The electronic W-2 forms are not accessible through KSU HRIS Employee Self Service. If you have any difficulty with the State of Kansas Employee Self Service website, consult the State of Kansas Employee Self Service Troubleshooting (pdf).

Up to five years of prior W-2s are also available through the State of Kanas website. Printed W-2s, for employees who do not consent to receive their information electronically, will be distributed through US mail in late January.

For employees who have consented this year or in the previous years, no action is required. Employees who consent to receive their W-2 form electronically will not receive a paper W-2 form.

Terminated employees can consent and receive their W-2 form electronically 18 months after their termination date.

If you have any questions, please refer to the W-2 Frequently Asked Questions or contact your department HR liaison.

W-2 FAQs