1. K-State home
  2. »Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs
  3. »For undocumented and Hispanic/Latino students
  4. »Immigration updates for K-State students

Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs

Immigration updates 


June 18, 2020

The US Supreme Court rules against Trump administration attempt to end DACA, a win for DACA-mented students and youth across the country

Kansas Governor, Laura Kelly joined other states in legal action supporting the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program

Kelly joined Michigan, Nevada and Wisconsin, as well as Montana Governor Steve Bullock, in filing an amicus brief in the United States Supreme Court in support of DACA.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Please visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the most up-to-date information regarding DACA, United State Citizenship/Naturalization, Lawful Permanent Resident and other processes including application forms and fee information. For questions contact USCIS directly or an attorney for legal advice.

While no new DACA applications are being accepted at this time, renewals for current beneficiaries of DACA are being accepted.

Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) PDF statement

K-State joins with the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) in their statement calling for swift congressional action. DACA was initiated by the Obama Administration in 2012. Under the policy, certain undocumented immigrants to the United States who entered the country as minors can receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and eligibility for employment. 

The university is not aware of any changes that would affect enrollment, admission, student employment or merit scholarship status at this time. 

In-state Tuition

Undocumented and DACA-mented students in Kansas are eligible for resident tuition.  In 2004, Kansas State Legislature voted to institute House Bill 2145 also known as K.S.A. 76-731a into law. Through this statue, undocumented students are eligible to pay in-state tuition at a Kansas college or university. Students must meet the following Kansas residency statute and regulations or special circumstances to be considered a Kansas resident for tuition purposes. Click here to be directed to the K-State residency information page.

Please review the complete Kansas Board of Regents FAQ on Kansas 2004 House Bill 2145, Eligibility for Resident Tuition for Certain Undocumented Immigrants and Others document here