Road Trip Tips
By Julie Hamel
Here are some tips that can help you to enjoy your spring break adventure!
Before You Leave
- Make sure your residence is secure.
- If you live in an apartment, stop your mail and/or newspaper service or have someone pick these up for you. Several days worth of mail or papers accumulating by your door is a sure sign for thieves that you're not at home!
- Park your vehicle in a well lit area and place all valuable personal items out of sight.
- Be sure to let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return. In case of an emergency, someone should always know where and how to find you.
- Within the U.S., most laws related to alcohol use are the same as they are in Kansas.
- Drinking and driving puts you at risk and others as well! If you've been drinking, don't get behind the wheel. All states have laws against drinking and driving!
- All states have laws against open containers in a vehicle.
- Many places in the U.S. will take someone into custody until he or she appears before a judge or posts a cash bond. This applies even to misdemeanors! For court, you also may have to return to the jurisdiction where you were charged.
- If you are traveling out of the country, know that laws may be different from the U.S. If you are involved in a crime or accused of a crime, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Office.
- The use of alcohol is a significant contributor to sexual assault! When you've been drinking, your judgment is impaired.
- Most assaults are committed by someone who is an acquaintance.
- You are less likely to be a victim if you are with a group. Follow the buddy system.
- Avoid going out alone with someone you have only known for one or two days.
- Date rape drugs are odorless and tasteless. Watch the bartender make your drink and keep track of it at all times.
- If you feel unusual, or get intoxicated faster than usual, have your friends take you somewhere safe.
- If you think you have been a victim, contact authorities immediately.
- Stay in groups.
- Expensive jewelry and clothing draw unwanted attention.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash or credit cards.
- Keep your hotel room locked at all times.
- Take care of one another!
© All staff articles are used by permission of the respective author(s). Copyright belongs to the University Life Café. No part of this may be used without authorization.
Road Trip Tips (pdf)