Training is a key part in creating and maintaining a culture of compliance. K-State maintains a subscription to online compliance training courses offered through Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program. The program is targeted for species or procedures specific to your proposed activity.
Who is required to complete CITI training?
- Those submitting IACUC, IRB, IBC and DURC applications must complete training prior to approval.
- Certain categories of employees identified in the Export Controls Training Plan must complete Export Controls Training.
- PHS Financial Conflict of Interest training is required for all K-State personnel involved in PHS funded research.
- Responsible Conduct of Research is mandatory for all K-State personnel involved in research activities.
Compliance training must be updated every three years, except in the case of PHS FCOI training which must be updated every four years or immediately if an institution revises its FCOI policy that affects requirements of investigators, an investigator is new to an institution, or an investigator is not in compliance with the policy or management plan.
Check CITI training due dates through your CITI account, or verify pre-CITI training by calling or emailing our office. Pre-CITI training is honored until expiration.
How to complete CITI training:
- Click "Register" in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select "Kansas State University" for your Organization Affiliation.
- Enter your name and email address. Use your K-state email as your primary email address. Enter a secondary email address.
- Create your username and password (not case sensitive), then enter optional demographic information.
- CITI offers an option for learners to receive Continuing Education credits for a fee. If you are interested in paying for CE credits, select yes when asked, otherwise, select no.
- After completing all requested information on the next page (contact information, research role, eID, etc.), you will arrive at a page that asks about research activities.
- At this point in the training is where you will identify whether you are in need of training for IACUC, IRB, IBC, DURC, Export Compliance, Conflict of Interest or COI, or Responsible Conduct of Research or RCR.
- IACUC: On Question 1, check the box that reads Principal Investigators, research staff and students participating in IACUC protocols. This will enroll you in the Working with the IACUC Course.
- IRB: For Question 2, check the box that reads IRB Researchers and personnel on IRB protocols.
- IBC and DURC: For Question 4, select the box next to either "Personnel on a BSL-1 Project," or "Personnel on a BSL-2 or BSL-3 Project" depending on your specific research. This will enroll you in both the required biosafety and DURC courses.
- Export Compliance: For Question 6: Export Compliance, check the box that reads "I would like to enroll in the Export Compliance course." Checking this box will automatically enter you into the Export Compliance course.
- COI: Answer Question 15: Conflicts of Interest, or COI. Checking this box will automatically enter you into the COI course.
- RCR: Answer Question 5: Responsible Conduct of Research, or RCR. Checking this box will automatically enter you into the RCR course.
- Continue through each question and check any additional boxes that might apply to your research.
- Select "yes" for Question 5: Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR). Checking this box will automatically enter you into the RCR course.
- When you click "Submit" you will be brought to your "Main Menu" which will contain your required courses under "Kansas State University Courses."
- Complete all required modules. Prior to each course, CITI will prompt you to answer whether you’d like to complete a pre-course assessment (optional), and an Integrity Assurance Statement (required).
- If you prefer a visual demonstration of these instructions, see CITI’s instructions for New Learner Account Registration.
Previous users (at Kansas State University)
If you have previously been enrolled in CITI at Kansas State University, use the following instructions:
- Login with your username and password.
- On the main page, under the header "Institutional Courses," click on the blue box labeled "View Courses."
- If you need to add a new course to complete:
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Add a Course."
- Choose the course you need from the resulting list and hit "Submit" at the bottom.
- Once you are routed back to your main page, scroll down to the section titled "Courses Ready to Begin," select your course, and click the blue box labeled "Start Now."
- If you need to renew a course that is expired:
- Scroll down to the section on our main page labeled "Courses Ready to Begin."
- Find the course that you need to take and click on the blue box labeled "Start Now."
Previous users (at a different institution)
If you have accessed CITI in "demo" mode, or have previously used CITI at another institution, use the following instructions:
- Login with your username and password.
- Once you reach your "Main Menu," select, "Click here to affiliate with another institution," then choose "Kansas State University" for your Organization Affiliation.
- Follow steps 6 through 12 above.
If you have any questions about how to add a course or find a course to take, please feel free to call our office at 532-3224.