Kansas State University provides a centralized digital signage system using Visix software, supported jointly by the Division of Communications and Marketing (DCM) and Information Technology (IT). University units may request access to the digital sign software upon signing a service level agreement (PDF) with IT. Hardware and installation costs will be the responsibility of the requesting department/unit.
Here is a look at the process for requesting access to the digital sign software, as well as assistance with design and hardware needs assessment.
Submit a request for service using K-State's Service Portal (eID login required). Click the green "Request service" button at the top right and select "Digital Signage" under "Request Details." Complete the remaining fields with information about your specific sign location(s), proposed sign managers, etc. and click "Submit."
Upon receipt, Robert Nelson (532-3141, email@example.com) will contact you for a site visit. He will meet with you to:
- Discuss the purpose and proposed location(s) of the digital sign(s) requested
- Help determine whether an interactive sign is best for the unit’s needs
- Determine a timeframe for digital sign deployment(s)
- Work with you to determine what type of content will be needed for the sign
DCM will arrange a meeting with you and IT to:
- Provide quotes for the display, mounting hardware and computer
- Explain the process of submitting a request to obtain a cost estimate or submitting a work order with Kansas State University Facilities to determine power and mounting costs
- Explain the process of submitting a request to obtain a cost estimate or submitting a work order with Kansas State University IT to provide network access at the proposed sign location(s)
When the hardware has arrived (mounting brackets for display and computer) the following will happen:
IT will (charges will apply):
- Install network line for the digital sign computer
- Ensure the provided line is on the secured digital sign VLAN
Facilities will (charges will apply):
- Install power
- Install the mounting brackets for the display and computer
- Hang the display on the mounting bracket.
- Load software and install the display computer in the computer bracket
- Connect cables to the display and computer
- Connect the digital sign to the server
- Grant digital sign server access to your assigned staff for sign content management
- Train unit staff on how to update data field on their templates
- Train unit staff as requested on more advanced digital sign techniques
Once the sign is fully deployed and staff is trained, IT will provide ongoing hardware and connectivity support as long as recommended hardware is purchased. The Division of Communications and Marketing will provide content support by providing shared content for university-wide display and technical support for sign managers with questions (via the IT Service Portal). Departmental/localized content requests should be routed to your client manager. Please allow sufficient lead time to produce special content.