What to Expect
Tutoring through the Academic Achievement Center focuses on the learning process to reach your goals. It's about more than just getting the answers. Our tutors are students that have succeeded in the courses you’re taking and are specifically trained to help you understand and learn difficult content. Our tutors are here to help you at every level.
Preparing for a Tutoring Session
- Being able to identify where you’re struggling or what you don’t understand will help the session be productive right from the start.
- Tutors can’t directly help you with homework, quiz, or test problems so come prepared with example problems or concepts to cover.
- Bring any supplies that will assist your tutor in helping you. This should include textbooks, notes, syllabi, etc..
What to Expect in a Tutoring Session
- Tutoring sessions with the AAC are done in groups (1 to 2 in an appointment, up to 4 by request, and up to 7 in drop-in). Your tutor is there to help you and to also help you learn from each other.
- Your tutor will help you set a goal for the session to achieve in the 50-minute session.
- Your tutor will assess where you need assistance and in the style you need it. Our goal is to help you learn in whatever style works best for you.
- Your tutor is going to be asking you a lot of questions to get your mind working and connecting the dots.
- Meeting via Zoom? Use these Success Strategies to make the most of your Zoom experiences.
Policies to Know About
- Appointments must be made at least 24-hours in advance.
- Canceling an appointment within 8-hours of your scheduled appointment time counts as a "no-show".
- Three "no-shows" results in a suspension of scheduling permission until you meet with a graduate assistant to regain scheduling permission. Drop-in sessions are always available.
- Tutors are not permitted to work through your exact homework problems.
Tutoring Services start the second week of courses, ends the last Friday of courses, and is closed during all university holidays and breaks.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us by visiting us in Holtz Hall, emailing us at email@example.com, or calling us at 785-532-5703.