Event Update, August 28, 2010
Welcome to the Fall Semester 2010. I hope that your summer was productive.
The Women of K-State Leadership Committee continued to meet over the summer and is developing a vision, mission and strategic set of guidelines for the Women of K-State efforts. You'll hear more about these efforts in the near future. I need your help in identifying all the organizations/groups on campus that promote and encourage women. See item #2 below as we are developing a Women's Group/Organization Roundtable where we will have one representative from each group/organization participate in a regular meeting to share ideas, communicate programs and collaborate.
Here's an update on what's going on with the Women of K-State.
- Reception for Dr. Jackie Hartman, Director of Community Relations and Assistant to the President We hope to see you on Wednesday, September 1 at the Beach Museum from 12:00-1:30 pm or 5:00-6:30 pm to meet Jackie and learn about her activities on campus and in the community. Refreshments will be served. Please RSVP to Shelly Broccolo at 532-6221 or email@example.com by noon on Tuesday, 8/31 so we can make sure we have enough food. Hope to see you there.
- Women of K-State Women's Organization Roundtable We are initiating a Roundtable group that will have representatives from all the organizations on campus that support and promote women. What groups have helped you along the way? We have a list of groups but it is not comprehensive. Please email the name of the organization, a contact person, email and phone # for any groups you participate in or know about to Shelly Broccolo at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 10 so we can convene our first roundtable with representatives from these groups by mid-semester.
- Monthly Bowling Time starts soon This summer we had three bowling events where over 200 folks participated in food, fellowship and bowling. It was such a big hit we are looking to have a monthly bowling time over lunch. The Women of K-State will provide desserts and soft drinks and you are invited to bring your lunch or purchase it in the union. After a quick lunch, we'll hit the lanes for some fun visiting with other women of K-State. Additional details will be distributed out next week so check your email.
- Other Events and Happenings
- Earlier this month, the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women and the Women of K-STate sent an email survey to women faculty, staff and administrators on the culture and climate on campus. We are in the process of compiling the responses and hope to have a student survey later this semester.
- We have planned three Women of K-State sporting events for this year. The first one will be September 28 at the home volleyball match. All the women's sports teams will be there with demonstrations. Mark your calendar.
- Some of the working groups that were developed in the spring semester are continuing to meet. Check your K-State on-line accounts to keep up with these activities. Feel free to continue to interact as you would like.
Best wishes for the Fall semester. If you have additional suggestions or ideas, please don't hesitate to drop me an email.
Dr. Noel Schulz K-State
Paslay Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Department of ECE, Kansas State University
2077 Rathbone Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-5204