Job Opportunities: Assistant Vice President for
Unit: Vice President for Administration and Finance (VPAF)
Title: Assistant Vice President for Budget Planning
Appointment Type: Regular 12-month
Reports To: Vice President for Administration and Finance
Salary Range: $120,000-$135,000
The Assistant Vice President for Budget Planning is responsible for the operation of the University Budget Office, including supervision of a staff of 3.00 FTE. The annual operating budget for Kansas State University includes budgets for the Main Campus (includes Manhattan, Salina and Olathe), Research and Extension, and the Veterinary Medical Center with a combined total of approximately $800 million. The assistant vice president is a key member of the University’s fiscal management team and is actively involved in the development and execution of resource allocation policies and methodologies and many aspects of tuition revenue management.
Required Education and Experience
Baccalaureate degree; progressively responsible senior level financial and administrative management experience gained in a complex institution of higher education or other comparable entity; supervisory experience
Master’s degree in business administration, accounting, public administration or a related field; strong analytical skills with ability to develop creative solutions to complex financial issues; excellent oral and written communication skills; experience with accounting and budget systems; a strong service philosophy; self-starter with strong project management skills; leadership and staff development skills
- Manage the development and completion of the University operating budget. Forecast and track state general fund, tuition and other operating revenue. Facilitate the allocation of general use resources for all university budgetary units, coordinating with the VPAF and university executive management team. Manage the central university reserves and administer the central fringe benefit pool. Develop and implement with the VPAF a new budget model that better allocates the limited resources based on the University’s strategic plan K-State 2025.
- Manage the development and completion of the legislative budget request document by September 15th each year. Create the debt service and capital improvement worksheets to include in the document. Update the narrative for the Main Campus, Veterinary Medical Center and ESARP documents.
- Coordinate with the Director of Governmental Relations tracking of relevant legislation. Review each legislative bill and track those bills that are relevant to K-State. Analyze the operating and capital appropriation bill to ensure accurate funding. Serve as the University contact for legislative data requests, including completion of fiscal note requests.
- Coordinate with the VPAF and Division of Facilities in the development and tracking of the capital improvement budget, repair and rehabilitation projects and centrally funded building improvement projects. Assist in preparation of long-term fiscal planning for deferred maintenance needs.
- Manage the development and completion of the City University Projects Fund Request coordinating with the VPAF. Present the annual request to the City University Special Projects Fund Committee and the City Commissioners.
- Perform special assignments and fiscal analysis as assigned by the VPAF. Facilitate the development of a management fiscal reporting system to benefit executive management with fiscal decisions. Serve as the VPAF’s back-up for President’s Council, Council of Business Officers or other Board of Regents meetings as requested. Complete Faculty of Distinction and Tuition Fee Waiver annual Board of Regents reports.
Applicants are required to submit electronically a letter of application, resume, and contact information for five references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is May 30, 2014.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and veteran status. Background check required.