Skip to the content

Kansas State University

Research Foundation
Kansas State University
2005 Research Park Circle
Suite 105
Manhattan, KS 66502-5020
Tel: 785-532-5720
Fax: 785-532-3920
tech.transfer@k-state.edu

About Us


Our History

On September 5, 1942, Kansas State College President F.D. Farrell invited several individuals to meet for the purpose of organizing themselves as the Board of Directors of the Kansas State College Research Foundation.

The State Board of Regents established a patent policy for Kansas State College on October 31, 1941 and it was the mission of the newly formed Board to ensure that the College conformed with it. A portion of the policy reads as follows "all patents obtained on inventions resulting from College sponsored research be assigned to a corporation (hereinafter called the Foundation), independent of the College but composed of alumni of the College, and other qualified individuals, and created for the purpose of obtaining patents on inventions, receiving gifts, administering or disposing of such patents, and promoting research at Kansas State College by every proper means..."

The policy went on to establish an Advisory Committee of faculty members to review inventions and make recommendation to the Foundation. It also directed that fifteen percent of any sums received above the cost of obtaining a patent should be paid to the patentee.

The Board considered possibilities for raising an initial fund for the Research Foundation's operation. It was decided to request contributions mainly from companies or industries with problems that were likely to require scientific solutions or where the College had equipment and personnel particularly well fitted for investigational work. The Perry Packing Company contributed the first five hundred dollars. By the end of 1943, the Foundation raised $3,550 in donations.

Research Foundation Firsts:

--1st disclosure received from Dr. Harold W. Batchelor (1942) for making stoppers for bottles and test tubes.

--1st U.S. patent application filed October 12, 1944 at a cost of $40.60. The estimated cost to secure an issued patent was $80. The patent was for a plastic container for frozen foods to be used in freezer lockers.

--1st international patent application filed in the United Kingdom on March 20, 1947 on the potato granule dehydration process. The Industrial Management Trust of London funded the application.

--1st U.S. patent issued on December 6, 1949. U.S. Patent No. 2,490,431 entitled "Dehydrating Process for Starchy Vegetables, Fruits, and the Like", inventors John W. Greene, Ralph M. Conrad and Frederick A. Rohrman.

--1st consideration of license to American Home Foods, Inc. for the potato granule dehydration process patent.

--1st record of royalty income received during the year ending May 1961. It was paid by The Frontier Chemical Company on U.S. Patent No. 3,022,217 entitled "Fumigating Composition", inventors Clifford C. Roan and Lallan Rai.

(Back to Top)