1. K-State home
  2. »OIP
  3. »Study Abroad
  4. »Before Your Program
  5. »Prepare for Enrollment in the Study Abroad Placeholder Course

Study Abroad

The Study Abroad Placeholder Course

All K-State students who will be transferring credit from a university abroad back to K-State must enroll in the study abroad placeholder course, MLANG 001.

The MLANG 001 course holds a student's spot at K-State while they are abroad. This means that:

  1. You will be able to keep your active K-State student status.
  2. You will be eligible for financial aid.
  3. You will be allowed get credit of studying abroad.
  4. You will be able to use your K-State email.
  5. You will be able to access iSIS.
  6. Your study abroad experience will be included on your K-State transcripts.
  7. The K-State Cashiers Office is aware that you will be studying abroad. The Study Abroad Director will enroll you in MLANG 001.

All students are enrolled for 12 credits for a semester or 6 credits for the summer, regardless of academic level or how many credits will actually be taken abroad. Students are not be charged tuition based on the number of credits of enrollment in the MLANG 001 course. Students will be charged a $25 enrollment fee by the Cashier's Office once they are enrolled in MLANG 001.

It is important that students have all holds removed from their student account, and do not have other regular course enrollment at K-State for the term abroad, as these will prevent the Director of Study Abroad from being able to enroll a student into the MLANG 001 course.

Graduate students must complete the Special Enrollment Access Form in order to enroll in this Undergraduate level placeholder course.  While this is an Undergraduate level course, as long as the transcripts received from abroad indicate that Graduate level courses were taken, the credit will transfer back as Graduate level credit.

College of Business Administration students should contact their Academic Advisor about enrolling in an additional business study abroad course.

Honors Society students should contact the University Honors Program about enrolling in an additional study abroad course.