Passports serve as your international identification papers and allow you to enter other countries legally, as well as return to the United States after your travel is complete.  If you are an American citizen, you must possess a U.S. passport to leave and return to the United States.  International students must gain their passports from their native countries.  

Whereas you may not need a visa to enter another country, you absolutely must have passport, so make sure you understand whether you need a visa by referring to our Visa page.

For First-Time Applicants

You must apply in person for a U.S. passport.  You may do this at the Kansas State Student Union Director's Office, located on the first floor of the Union; or a U.S. Post Office.  Please refer to the U.S. Department of State websitefor more information about the passport application process.  Note that you will be charged a fee for a passport application.

For Passport Renewal

If you possess a passport that was issued more than fifteen years ago, or you have legally changed your name since the issuance of your passport, you must apply for a passport renewal.  Please refer to the U.S. Department of State website for more information about the passport renewal process.  Note that you will be charged a fee for passport renewal.

Be sure to apply for your passport early!  The U.S. Department of State may take up to six weeks to process your application or renewal.  It's a good idea to apply for your passport as soon as possible, even before you have decided on a specific program.