IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool will not be available until October 2017 when the 2018-19 FAFSA application is available. It is NOT available for the 2016-17 or the 2017-18 application cycles.
You may have received an email from Federal Student Aid recommending that you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA. If for any reason the Data Retrieval Tool is unavailable, you can manually enter your tax information into your FAFSA.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool transfers your IRS tax information directly into your FAFSA. To use the Data Retrieval Tool, complete the following steps:
- Go to and select the “Start Here” button.
- Log in using your FSA ID.
- Select the “Continue” or “Make a Correction” button.
- Select the "Financial Information" tab from the top of the page.
Instructions for the student to request the student IRS information:
- Go to "Student Financial Information" page
- Answer the questions in the first box to see if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- If eligible, click "Link to IRS"
- Review the information displayed and select the “Transfer My Information into the FAFSA” option
- Proceed to the Sign and Submit page
Instructions for the parent to request the parent IRS information:
- Go to "Parent Financial Information" page.
- Answer the questions in the first box to see if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- If eligible, select which parent is providing information on the FAFSA.
- Enter the FSA ID for the parent providing the information.
- Click "Link to IRS".
- Review the information displayed and select the “Transfer My Information into the FAFSA” option.