IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) allows students and parents access to their Federal Tax Return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students and parents may be eligible to transfer IRS data directly onto their FAFSA. If eligible to use the IRS DRT, we highly recommend using the tool for several reasons:
- It’s the fastest and easiest way to provide tax information.
- You don’t have to manually fill in Federal Tax Return data on your FAFSA.
- It’s the best way of ensuring your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
- It streamlines the verification process, because you will have fewer documents to submit to our office.
How to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool Step-by-Step:
Students and parents who have filed their taxes for the appropriate year will be given the option to use the IRS DRT when completing the Financial Information portion of the FAFSA application. Please note, there are two separate financial information sections on the FAFSA for dependent students. Students will use the IRS DRT for the Student Financial Information section and parents of dependent students will use the IRS DRT for the Parent Financial Information section.
Applicants will be prompted to use the IRS DRT while completing the FAFSA if you are eligible. Please use the following instructions to complete the process:
- Log in to fafsa.ed.gov/
- Click on Continue or Make FAFSA Corrections, enter your FSA ID and password.
Note: You will need to create an FSA ID in order to retrieve your tax information. Click the 'Create an FSA ID' link and complete the requested information. For help with the FSA ID, visit studentaid.gov.
- Navigate to the Financial Information tab
- If you can answer "No" to all of the questions, the tax filer will then click on Link to IRS
- Once you are transferred to the IRS website, fill in the information exactly as it was entered on the tax return
- Click Transfer Now to go back to the Financial Information screen
Note: To enhance security and protect your privacy, any transferred data will not display on your FAFSA, but will be marked as 'Transferred from the IRS'
- Navigate to the Sign & Submit tab to submit the corrected FAFSA