K-State Distinguished Lecturers Series
Call for Proposals
The K-State Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President, through the K-State Distinguished Lecturers Committee, invites proposals to bring distinguished lecturers to speak at K-State via a highly visible platform. Distinguished lecturers are those who have distinguished themselves nationally and/or internationally with significant accomplishments in their field of expertise (e.g., internationally prominent researchers and scholars, distinguished public officials, and creative artists). Requests for funding for distinguished lecturers should constitute a unique opportunity to host speakers of prominence and not be part of an existing lecture series.
- All divisions and units of Kansas State University are eligible to submit a proposal.
- Preference is given to topics and lectures which appeal to a reasonably wide audience.
- Departments (units) are encouraged to collaborate to jointly sponsor a speaker.
- Preference is given to proposals where outside funding is limited.
- Requested funding should not be in conjunction with an existing lecture series.
Responsibility of Sponsoring Unit(s) or Organizations:
- Arrange for travel and lodging for the visitor.
- Arrange for venue for the presentation.
- Make publicity arrangements for the lecture(s) or presentations(s).
- Include K-State Distinguished Lecturers Series sponsorship on all posters, flyers and any other publicity materials.
- Within two weeks of award notification, confirm that the guest lecturer has committed to come to campus during the period of time covered by this year’s call.
- Complete a one page K-State Distinguished Lecturers post event report.
Proposal Shall Include:
- Subject(s) of proposed lecture(s) and intended audiences of each.
- Statement of significance of the proposed lecture to the sponsoring units and the campus community.
- Curriculum Vitae or background history on the proposed lecturer.
- Itemized budget, including:
- Expenditures by category, such as publicity, travel/lodging and speaker honorary
- Revenue by source indicating portion sought from K-State Distinguished Lecturers Series and portion pledged by sponsoring units and accompanying letters of commitment from sponsoring units
- Accompanying letter(s) of commitment from the unit(s).
- Detailed publicity plan
Timeframe for Visit:
- Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters
- Priority will be given to proposals received by January 25, 2019.
- Proposals received after the deadline may be considered to the extent funds remain available.
Range of Awards:
- $1,000 to $4,000.
Submit proposals electronically in one pdf document file to Gerry Snyder, Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org and copy Craig Bourne in the Provost’s office at email@example.com. For further information contact the committee chair, Gerry Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org.