Presidential Awards for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising
This award was initiated to recognize the work of outstanding advisors on campus. All faculty and staff who have an advising function are eligible for this award. Evidence of effective advising may include, but is not limited to:
- Availability to advisees
- Appropriate referral activity
- Use of appropriate and accurate information sources
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, polices, and procedures
- Ability to engage to developmental advising (career and life planning) versus simply course scheduling
The nomination procedure will include:
- The request for nominations will be sent to deans and departments heads and announced in the K-State Today for faculty and staff. An advertisement will also be placed in the Collegian and the K-State Today Student Edition informing students that they may submit nominations for this award, and that they should contact the Office of the Dean of their college to obtain the nomination information.
- All department heads, faculty, staff, and students are welcomed to nominate a deserving advisor for this award.
- The nomination packet should be submitted to the Dean’s Office in the home college of the nominee.
- Deans are allowed to submit up to two nominees from the college. Deans should submit the nomination packet(s) to the Provost’s Office by the deadline date.
- A selection committee composed of faculty, administrators, advisors, and students will review the submitted nominations. They may choose to conduct short interviews (less than 30 minutes) with the nominees before making their selection.
The nomination packet should include:
- Letter of nomination.
- Letters of recommendation from two undergraduate students whom the nominee has advised.
- Letter of recommendation from the department head or appropriate associate dean that details why the nominee is deserving of this award. In particular, it should address the scope of the nominee's advising responsibilities and evidence of the quality of the advising.
- Brief description by the nominee of his or her advising philosophy (no more than one page).
- Copies of recent evaluations of advising, if any.
- All application materials should be sent electronically in pdf format to Gail Zeak (email@example.com) by 4:30pm on Friday February 21, 2014.