1. K-State home
  2. »OSAS
  3. »Student Organizations
  4. »Tax ID Numbers for your Student Organization

Office of Student Activities and Services

Tax ID Numbers for your Student Organization

What is a Federal Tax ID Number

A Federal Employee Identification Number or FEIN, sometimes referred to Federal Tax ID Number, is similar to an individual’s social security number. It is a nine-digit number the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) uses to identify individuals, companies and various other organizations (including student organizations) for tax reporting purposes.

How do I Know if I have a Tax ID Number

OSAS may or may not have that information on file for your organization. It depends if someone from your group ever applied for a number and gave OSAS that information when they registered as a student group.  

If your organization has a bank account in the organization’s name then the bank is required, by law, to have a FEIN on file. You can check with your bank.

You can call the Kansas IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line Office at 800-829-4933 and give your group’s information to the operator. They should be able to look that information up if your organization had applied for a number. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

How do I Apply for a Tax ID Number

Call the Kansas IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line at 800-829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor takes the information, assigns the EIN, and provides the number to an authorized individual over the telephone.

You can also apply online, by fax submission or by mail. Please see the following link http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

Is My Organization Tax Exempt if We Have an FEIN

The FEIN is simply a number used by the IRS for tax reporting purposes. Tax exempt status is a completely different issue. OSAS does not keep tax exempt status information on file. Student groups are not formally recognized as a division of Kansas State University and are not eligible for tax exempt status through their affiliation with K-State. Very few student groups have tax exempt status. The student groups who have tax exempt status usually receive that status through their national organization.

Do Donations to our Organization Qualify as a Tax Write-Off

To receive this type of status your group would need to file for 501(c)(3) status with the IRS. This process is fairly complicated and will require hiring a CPA or tax attorney to properly complete the paperwork. Unfortunately, OSAS does not have the resources required to help student groups file for 501(c)(3) status. If you would like to learn more about 501(c)(3) exemption requirements, the IRS has an excellent web site to explain the process, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

You can also consider working with the K-State Foundation to allow people to give to your organization through the K-State Foundation, which would provide this benefit. You can contact them at 800-432-1578 for more information.