Requirements for Student Organizations
There are a few requirements set forth which groups must adhere to before applying for registration. They are:
- Groups must be created to unite persons with similar academic, cultural, religious, professional, social, political, or service-oriented interests.
- Organizations must have a minimum of five members. Groups with at least 3 members can register provisionally.
- At least 50% of members must be K-State students (80% of membership must be students to request funds from SGA).
- Groups may not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical handicap or disability, status as a Vietnam Era Veteran, sexual orientation or other factors which cannot be lawfully considered. All fraternal and campus-related organizations shall follow this policy in the selection of their members, except the prohibition against sex discrimination shall not apply to social fraternities, or sororities which are excluded from the application of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
- University governing bodies are not required to register (i.e., SGA, UGB, etc.). However, these groups are subjected to University regulations and policies.
- Groups whose primary purpose is individual instruction, charge fees, or to compensate an instructor will not be eligible for registration.
- Groups whose primary purpose is to function as a business will not be eligible for registration
- Groups must abide by all University policies, campus regulations, federal, state, and local laws.
- Groups must provide contact information for its primary officers.
- Groups must maintain a current copy of the organization’s constitution on file in the OSAS.
- Groups must have an advisor who is a full-time member of the KSU faculty, staff or administration.
- Groups may not at any time have any outstanding debt to any Kansas State University office.
- If a new organization attempts to register and there is currently an existing organization with the same or similar name or purpose, the members trying to create the new organization will be referred to the current organization for membership.