Creating an Organization
Registration Process for New Groups
The Process of registering a new student group is simple and involves only a few basic steps. Follow the steps listed here, using the forms provided and information listed to establish a new student organization.
- Pick up a student organization registration form from the Office of Student Activities and Services, or print off the available pdf version here.
- Determine and define the purpose of your organization.
- Make sure you have at least 5 student members in your group. (Remember 50% of your membership must be students to be a university community group and 80% of your membership must be students to be a student group.)
- Find a full-time faculty member, staff person, or administrator to serve as your group's advisor. (If you are having trouble with this, contact our office and we will help. Also, go to Finding An Advisor for more information.)
- With the members of your group, create your group's constitution. All registered student groups must have a current copy of their constitution on file with the Office of Student Activities and Services.
- At least one student or community member in your group must attend one of the organization registration meetings facilitated by the OSAS office. For a list of upcoming meeting dates visit here.
- After attending one of the meetings, turn in your registration form and constitution to the Office of Student Activities on the ground floor of the Student Union.
- To complete the final registration step for new groups, it will be necessary for you to meet with a staff member of the office. Be ready to make an appointment when both the group's president and advisor are available.