Consumer and Tenant Affairs


The Consumer and Tenant Affairs Office serves Kansas State University students by disseminating information in consumer and tenant matters. CTA will provide information on landlord/tenant rights and responsibilities and aid in the resolution of consumer complaints regarding products and/or services. CTA also provides several brochures regarding consumer issues and landlord/tenant information.


CTA maintains a bulletin board located on the first floor of the K-State Student Union that lists available rental units and various other housing options.

Other Sources of Information

Off Campus Housing Guide

Tenant Handbook

Link to Handbook

Check Your Home Guide

Link to Guide

Simple Bills

Stressed out from keeping track of when your bills are due and if your roommates have paid? Simple Bills is a web service that allows you to bundle all of your bills into one payment. If your roommates sign up, Simple Bills can divide the bills between you so you only pay your portion and don't have to worry about making sure your roommates pay. Check them out at

Renter's Insurance

Housing and Credit Counseling, Inc. (HCCI): Tenant Handbook

HCCI has published online a tenant handbook. HCCI says that, "The handbook covers both legal and practical aspects of Kansas residential landlord tenant relations in terms that everyone can understand."

Kansas Residential Landlord Tenant Act (KRLTA):

The KRLTA is the state legislation that governs the landlord-tenant relationship. Rights of the tenant and landlord can be found in this Act, listed on the HCCI website:

Code Services

Code Services is a free service to City of Manhattan tenants. You can call Code Services to have your home inspected if you feel that your home may be in violation of Code. They can be reached at (785) 587-4506

City of Manhattan

The City of Manhattan also provides landlord/tenant support to the residents of Manhattan. They can be reached at (785) 587-2489.

Attorney General : Consumer Protection Division

For students with consumer related issues, they can file a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office. Their can call toll free at (800) 432-2310 or check out their website at

Director of Consumer and Tenant Affairs

Jessica Wheeler
809 K-State Student Union
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506
phone: 785-532-6541