Changes to Entry Screening

Effective immediately all international students entering the U.S. will be directed to secondary inspection after completing the first level of screening by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).  Secondary inspections give CBP access to the Department of Homeland Security’s  Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to confirm students’ eligibility for entry to the U.S.

If you are traveling this summer and will have connecting flights following your arrival to the U.S., we recommend allowing additional time between flights (minimum 2-3 hours).

For more information regarding this update,


Travel Information

Manhattan Regional Airport:

K-State is located in Manhattan, Kansas. You can fly directly to the Manhattan Regional Airport (Airport code MHK). This airport is conveniently located just a few miles away from the K-State campus. They offer a convenient flight option coming from the Dallas International Airport (DFW) or the Chicago O'Hare Airport (ORD). If you are able to arrange your international flight to bring you through Dallas or Chicago, you can then connect directly to Manhattan.

You can find out further information about booking a flight directly to Manhattan Regional Airport at:


ATA shuttle bus
An airport shuttle van is available from Manhattan Regional Airport (MHK) to Kansas State University.      
 Sign up for Spring 2014 semester arrival: 
January 7, 8, 9, 10 2014
 Taxi Options:

If you are unable to arrive during the times that the K-State shuttle is offered, you will need to call a taxi to take you to campus.  If you are planning to live on campus, you should ask the taxi driver to take you to Moore Hall.  If you will be living off-campus, please have the address of your destination ready to give to the taxi driver.

Available Manhattan, KS taxi services are:

Wildcat Taxi


Bell Taxi


Black Car of Manhattan


There are phones located in the Manhattan Regional Airport that you will be able to use to call a taxi.  If you need assistance making the call, please ask an airport staff member, they will be willing to help you make the call if necessary.

Kansas City International Airport (MCI):

The Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is about 130 miles (208 km) from Manhattan. You can connect to MCI from your U.S. port-of-entry.


Travel from Kansas City to Manhattan:

Once you arrive in Kansas City, you can then take or a shuttle bus to Manhattan.

Shuttle Options:

KCI Roadrunner Express, Inc.:
This is a shuttle-bus that will bring you to Manhattan from the Kansas City airport (MCI). The Roadrunner Express will make arrangements to deliver you to any location in Manhattan. This shuttle runs on a set schedule. You should make reservations in advance. When you arrive in the U.S., you can call to make your reservation at: 1-800-747-2524. You can also make online reservations before you arrive at:

Five Guys Shuttle:
This is a shuttle-van that will pick up at anytime from the Kansas City airport (MCI). All you need to do is make a reservation before you arrive and this service will pick you up when your flight arrives. You can find out further information and make online reservations at:

Black Car:
This is a town car service that will pick you up from the Kansas City airport (MCI) and deliver you to your destination in Manhattan, according to your reservation. You can call them at 785-410-8483 or email them at  More information and online reservation services can be found on their website:

Quick Silver Shuttle & Economy Limousine:
Quicksilver Airport Service specializes in shared rides to and from Kansas City International Airport. They offer quality service at reasonable rates with a 24 hour advance notice. They will meet and greet you at the baggage claim for your airline approximately 10 minutes after your flight arrives and take you safely to your destination in a clean comfortable vehicle.  More information can be found at or  You may also contact them at 913-262-0905 or 816-353-7100.

Plan your Arrival

You may be refused entry into the United States if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before OR anytime after, the program start date listed on your SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 form.

Please plan your travel so that you will arrive no later than the date on your I-20/DS-2019 form and admission letter. This will give you ample time to rest before you take the English Proficiency Test and complete all requirements before classes begin.

Travel Plans

Make travel reservations well in advance of your departure date. This is especially important if you travel in the United States during peak tourist seasons or holidays. These include the Easter observance (either in March or April); the summer months of June through August; and the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day holidays in November, December, and January. The ten U.S. Federal holidays are listed below.

New Year's Day - January 1
Martin Luther King Day - observed the third Monday in January
Presidents' Day - observed the third Monday in February
Memorial Day - observed the fourth Monday in May
Independence Day - July 4
Labor Day - observed the first Monday in September
Columbus Day - observed the second Monday in October
Veteran's Day - November 11
Thanksgiving Day - observed the fourth Thursday in November
Christmas Day - December 25

What to bring
  • A good bilingual dictionary, since it might not be possible to obtain one for your language in the United States
  • All of your essential identification papers and documents, to be carried on your person or in your hand baggage (DO NOT PUT IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS IN BAGS YOU HAVE CHECKED ONTO THE PLANE - KEEP THEM WITH YOU).
  • Books, manuals, or journals that you think may be useful for reference in your field of study and that definitely will not be available in the United States
  • Pictures of your family, home, and country, for yourself and to show to your new friends
  • Items from your culture, such as musical instruments, recordings of traditional and contemporary music, picture books, arts and crafts, and small gifts, to share your talents and customs with people in the United States (For festive occasions you may consider bringing traditional dress and accessories from your country.
  • This would be a great way to show and tell Americans more about your culture and traditions. There will be many opportunities to share your culture while at K-State.)
  • Enough money to live on until you can open a bank account and arrange for funds to be transferred from home
Important Documents

Do not check the following documents in your baggage. If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will be unable to present the documents at your port of entry. As a result, you may not be able to enter the United States.

  • Your passport, valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay
  • SEVIS Form I-20 /DS-2019

In addition, it is strongly recommended that you also hand carry the following documentation:

  • Evidence of financial resources
  • Evidence of student status, such as recent tuition receipts and transcripts
  • Paper receipt for the SEVIS fee, and Form I-797
  • Name and contact information for your "Designated School Official"
  • 24-hour emergency contact number at the school you are attending

For comprehensive information on procedures for traveling and arriving in the United States, visit:

What not to bring

You can obtain a booklet on customs regulations at the consulate or embassy where you acquire your visa. Prohibited items include some foodstuffs, narcotics, weapons, and items for resale. The U.S. Customs Service also provides this information on their Web site at

  • Expensive jewelry, treasured possessions, family heirlooms, or delicate things, since there is always a chance that these items can get lost, stolen, or damaged during travel or during your stay
  • Firearms, knives, weapons, or articles that could be perceived as weapons
  • Narcotics or drugs
  • Medications, unless you have written prescriptions from a doctor
  • Any article of clothing, artifact, or medicine made from endangered animals
  • Electrical appliances (Appliances in the United States work on a 115 volts and 60 cycle system. It is usually best to purchase electrical items in the United States, especially if you plan to live in university housing, as some items will not be allowed. Most items are reasonably priced. Also note that video systems, including televisions, VCRs, and DVD players, including those in laptop computers, use different systems in different parts of the world, and those you bring from home are unlikely to be compatible with the U.S. media.)
  • Things you can easily buy in the United States, such as notebooks, pens, paper (paper in the United States is of a slightly different size than in countries following the metric system), toiletries, towels, or bed sheets (These items will take up valuable space in your luggage.)
  • Food, seeds, or plants (The United States has very strict restrictions on importing foods, perishables, and agricultural goods into the country.)
  • Books that can easily be obtained in U.S. libraries (Some universities have their library catalog on the Internet, where you can check the availability of books. You can also contact the university library staff to verify the availability of any essential books. You can usually also obtain books through interlibrary loans. The web site for KSU's Hale Library is
  • Animals
What to expect when you arrive at a U.S. Port of Entry

Please go to this U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Website: