Activist Calendar


Nonviolence Header

This free script provided by
JavaScript Kit

Link to Homepage Link to Season For Nonviolence Page Link to Nonviolence Rally Page Link to Nonviolence Works Page
Link to Safe Zone Page Link to Women's Center Page Link to More Nonviolent Resources Link to Volunteer Opportunities Page
home- resources- stalking


A Message of Nonviolence from Bill Synder and a Few Wildcat Athletes

Quicktime/Windows Media Player

64 ways to practice Nonviolence

Play Audio Tracks


Contact Us


What is Stalking?

Most states define stalking as the willful, malicious, and repeated following and harassing of another person. All states have laws against stalking.

Stalking can include threatening behavior (direct or indirect), spying, uninvited appearances at a persons home, work, or place of recreation, harassing phone calls, written messages or left objects, and vandalizing property. Stalking can also occur via the Internet. Incidents of stalking should not be trivialized. The act of stalking can be extremely threatening and dangerous. Stalking behaviors may or may not be accompanied by a credible threat of serious harm. Stalking can lead to physical violence or death. Victims frequently live in fear and may significantly alter their lives in an attempt to find safety.

Who stalks and why?

Although both men and women can be perpetrators or victims of stalking, most reported stalkers are men. Studies indicate that stalking behavior may be a means of exerting control over, or instilling fear in victims. Stalkers can be spouses, ex-partners, acquaintances or strangers, however most victims know their stalkers. Some studies indicate that stalkers develop a "love obsession" or fixation with a person where no prior personal relationship existed. Many instances of stalking, however, are preceded by the existence of an intimate relationship between the stalker and victim.

What should you do if you think you are being stalked?

  • If you are in immediate danger go to a safe place (police station, friends, family, crisis center, public place.)
  • Upon reaching safety, contact the Police or Crisis Center personally, to request protection, assistance and referrals.
  • If you are not able to leave your current location dial 911 or have someone you can rely on call the police to assist you.
  • If you feel as though you are not in immediate danger, it is still important to notify the police about any incidents that appear to be stalking.
  • Although every situation is different, it is important to get assistance immediately to help you to decide what the best course of action will be and to develop a safety plan (a set of steps) that will help insure your safety.

Who on the Kansas State University campus can assist you if you are being stalked?

  • Counseling Services (785-532-6927) offer a confidential setting providing emotional support, counseling, guidance, and resource referrals.
  • The Women's Center (785-532-6432) provides support and advocacy for women and works to raise the level of awareness and understanding of issues relevant to women. They work with individuals who are filing complaints under gender-related and sexual violence policies. They also work closely with agencies to help women in crisis for reasons of violence or abuse, and offer self-defense classes for women.
  • Dean of Student Life Office (785-532-6432) addresses student misconduct and oversees the student judicial system, which has the power to enforce university policies.
  • For KSU policies concerning student misconduct go to especially #3 and #6 and for the sexual violence policy go to .
  • The Student Attorney (785-532-6541) through Student Government is available to consult with students regarding legal advice and resource referral.
  • University Police (911 or 785-532-6412) respond to police calls that relate to the Kansas State University (KSU) campus to include resident halls, sporting events and any other campus location. Police can intervene and enforce stalking laws if and when they apply. Police can also enforce retraining orders when they are violated. However, it is important to know that the police do not issue restraining orders. Restraining orders are issued through the court system.

What is a Restraining Order?

A restraining order is a court order forbidding an individual to come into contact with another individual. If a restraining order is violated, this needs to be reported to the police immediately. This is the only way that the police will know that your safety is in danger, and then they can intervene. If you have filed a restraining order you should keep a copy of this with you at all times as proof of an existing restraining order. It is sometimes difficult for police to verify restraining orders and this written proof can be extremely helpful. To clarify, if you need to get a restraining order you must go through the court system. If you need to report a violation of that restraining order you must call the police immediately. In cases of emergency after court hours, an emergency protective order can be requested by the police officer that responds to a situation that posse’s immediate danger to an individual. They must receive approval from an on duty court official. There are emergency, temporary and permanent restraining orders. Understanding restraining orders can be very confusing.

For additional information regarding restraining orders go to:

For more information on state and federal laws go to:


Who can assist you off campus?

  • The Riley County Police Department (911 or 785-537-2112) and the University Police can assist you in similar ways. It is a matter of jurisdiction. The Riley County Police Department addresses incidents involving off campus housing, Aggie Ville, downtown and anywhere else off of the KSU campus in Riley county. In case of any emergency the police need to be notified immediately.
  • The Crisis Center Inc. (785-539-2785) is a confidential safe house that provides protection, emergency shelter, advocacy, guidance and support in times of crisis.
  • Pawnee Mental Health Services (785-587-4300) is a county run mental health agency that provides confidential counseling services to people in the community.
    Flinthills Legal Services (785-537-2943) provides legal services to people in the community.

Where Can I get more information on Stalking?

General Stalking Information:

Stalking Resources on the Internet:
National Center For Victims of Crime:
Stalking and Domestic Violence:
Violence Against Women Online Resources:
The Stalking Assistance Site:
The Antistalking Website:
Privacy Rights Clearinghouse:

State and Federal Laws Regarding Stalking:

Crimes and Punishments Charts:
National Center For Victims of Crime:
State Stalking Laws:
National Center For Victims of Crime:
2001 Kansas legislation:

Restraining Orders:

Stalking Assistance Site:

Nonviolent Inspiration:

"No single person can liberate a country. You can only liberate a country if you act as a collective." -Nelson Mandela

"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake."
-Jeanette Rankin

"Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction..."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

"War is elective. It is not an inevitable state of affairs. War is not the weather." -Susan Sontag

"There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall--think of it, always." -Mahatma Gandhi