Safety officials respond to fire alarm in Weber Hall

Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013

       

 

MANHATTAN -- Kansas State University's public safety team and the Manhattan Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in Weber Hall that began around 9 a.m. this morning.

Steve Galitzer, the university's director for public safety, said steam from a tunnel under Weber Hall reached an electrical conduit in the building. As the steam cooled, it created condensation inside an electrical panel, resulting in arcing in the panel and eventually smoke in the building.

Weber Hall was evacuated for safety and no injuries were reported. The building was reopened around 10:30 a.m.

Weber Hall houses the department of animal sciences and industry. 

Source

Steve Galitzer
785-532-5856
galitz@k-state.edu

At a glance

A small fire started in Weber Hall around 9 a.m. this morning because of steam causing sparking in an electrical panel.