Architecture students earn honors at university's 17th annual Bowman Design Forum
Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2016
MANHATTAN —Outstanding design work by six third-year architecture students at Kansas State University's College of Architecture, Planning & Design, or APDesign, earned honors at the 17th annual Bowman Design Forum, Dec. 9, on the Manhattan campus.
Sponsored by BBN Architects Inc., Manhattan, and hosted by APDesign, the forum brought acclaimed architects to campus to discuss work by students in the architecture department. The forum is an opportunity for students to present their work to the architecture practitioners and educators for critiques.
One student from each of the department's six third-year studio sections was selected to present his or her design for "The Falls Brewpub | Cottonwood Falls, KS." Each student nominee prepared models, drawings and a PowerPoint presentation.
This year's invited guest jurors were Frank Harmon, fellow of the American Institute of Architects and owner of Frank Harmon Architect PA, Raleigh, North Carolina; Matthew Kreilich, principal of Snow Kreilich Architects, Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Brent Bowman, Austin Massoth and Aaron Dyck, BBN Architects. Harmon and Kreilich each delivered a public presentation of their respective work following the forum.
The jurors awarded $3,750 in scholarship monies to the following third-year architecture students:
• Bradley Gollwitzer, Shawnee, $250 Finalist Award. Gollwitzer isa student in the studio of Wendy Ornelas, professor of architecture.
• Tanner Lee, Blue Springs, Missouri, $250 Finalist Award. Lee is a student in the studio of Emily Koenig, visiting assistant professor of architecture.
• Tyler Arndt, Independence, Missouri, $250 Finalist Award. Arndt is a student in the studio of Todd Gabbard, associate professor of architecture.
• Alyssa Reynolds, Independence, Missouri, $500 Special Merit Award. Reynolds is a student in the studio of Bruce Wrightsman, assistant professor of architecture.
• Claire Huffaker, Maysville, Missouri, $2,000 Honor Award. Huffaker is a student in the studio of Gary Coates, professor of architecture.
• Dipen Patel, Raymore, Missouri, $500 Special Merit Award. Patel is a student in the studio of Michael McGlynn, associate professor of architecture.
"The Bowman Forum is a highlight each fall in third-year studio," said Matt Knox, professor and head of the architecture department. "The chance for our students to show off their best work in front of local and nationally distinguished architects is a huge plus for their education and is also an opportunity to illustrate the quality of our program."