News Clips

The top stories mentioning Kansas State University are posted below. Download an Excel file with all of the day's news stories.

Thursday, Oct. 30, 2014

Farmers shift from corn to wheat
10-29-14 The Wichita Eagle
Even with Chicago wheat futures down 13 percent this year to $5.255 a bushel, that’s still above variable costs for most growers of about $4.50, based on six years of farm-production data, according to Dan O'Brien, an economist for Kansas State University. Corn futures are down 14 percent to $3.6425 a bushel, barely ahead of production costs near $3.50. That’s enough of an incentive to encourage more wheat output next year, O'Brien said.

Update: PURE Bioscience Files Application With FDA For Antimicrobial Food Processing Technology, Secures $7.9M In Private Funding, And Wins Subway
10-29-14 barchart
After an in-depth testing process in conjunction with Kansas State University, PURE announced on October 9th it had filed a Food Contact Notification or "FCN," with the FDA for SDC as a "direct contact" wash and spray to kill pathogens in produce processing operations. Test results suggested that SDC, when combined with existing treatments, could improve microbial reduction 100 fold over current practices against dangerous foodborne pathogens, including Salmonella, Listeria and E. coliO157:H7 on leafy green produce. These results were obtained without impacting produce color, appearance, or odor, while also having no effect on the nutritional composition of the produce.

A tale of three women: Fishtank opens “Eleemosynary”
10-29-14 The Kansas City Star
Each institution will anchor a “consortium” of other schools in its region. In all, 26 universities and schools will be involved. UMKC will coordinate a group that includes Kansas State University, the University of Missouri in Columbia, the University of Kansas, the University of Central Missouri, Kansas City Young Audiences, Shawnee Mission North High School, St. Teresa’s Academy, Rockhurst High School and Olathe East High School.

 

Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014

K-State journalism students gain better understanding of Army public affairs
10/29/14 DVIDS
For the first time, Kansas State University's A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications students partnered with the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division's Public Affairs Office to gain a better understanding of military public affairs.


Worried About Inflation? Follow These 3 Rules
10/28/14 Street Authority
Still, as I noted a few years ago: "According to a study conducted by Kansas State University, the average annual return on U.S. farmland since 1950, including crop yield and land appreciation, is 11.5%, compared with a 12% annualized total return for the stock market." Roughly 60% of that annual gain came from rising land prices (with the other 40% due to profits earned by farming, which is of little use to landowners).


MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry speaks at KU's Jana Mackey Distinguished Lecture Series
10/29/14 6 News Lawrence
"At K-State we have a lot of signs around campus. I think it's really important to acknowledge that one, there is a problem in our society, and then two, understand that knowing about it is a part of the solution," said Shaun Dowdell, student at Kansas State.

 

Kansas State University on TV

KSNT in Topeka, Kansas

 

Note: Asterisks indicate clips that resulted from recent news releases or pitches from Communications and Marketing.  

See more K-State faculty, staff and students in the news in the clip archives.