About the FIT Lab:
Director: Katie M. Heinrich, Ph.D.
- The FIT Lab has a three-part mission of Research, Education, and Public Health.
- It encompasses the L.I.F.E. Program and K-State CrossFit.
- The Laboratory is located in Natatorium, Room 4.
FIT Lab Research Assistants
Sarah Stevenson, PhD
Hometown: Overland Park, KS
Hometown: Liberal, KS
Hometown: McPherson, KS
Hometown: Mission, KS
Hometown: Aurora, CO
Hometown: Santana, KS
Hometown: Kansas City, KS
Current Research Projects
- A Qualitative Study of Key Social and Behavioral Factors Associated with CrossFit Participation
- Affective Responses to Three Different Types of Exercise
- K-State CrossFit Program Evaluation Study *Ongoing*
- Marketing Walking to Women and their Families
- Physical Activity to Improve Survival and Quality of Life Among Cancer Survivors *Spring 2014*
Previous Research Projects
- Human Metabolic Response to CrossFit Exercise (thesis)
- The Influence of a CrossFit Exercise Intervention on Glucose Control in Overweight and Obese Individuals (thesis)
- Mission Essential Fitness (manuscript)
- Survey of Kansas Policy-Maker's Attitudes towards Issues and Problems in Kansas (manuscript)
- Fitness Gains from a Summer Youth Conditioning Camp (poster)
- Understanding the effects of high-intensity functional training (HIFT) on fitness, health, and psychosocial outcomes delivered in group-based exercise classes.
- Populations of Interest – youth, overweight/obese adults, active duty military, cancer survivors, and others.
- Examining important aspects of physical activity/exercise policies at the local, state, and national levels.
- Teach evidence-based fitness using a core strength and conditioning program where needs of participants vary by degree and not kind with the goal of providing broad, general, and inclusive fitness.
- Teach real life functional movements (e.g., squat, deadlift) in a group setting while providing individual feedback.
- Educate kinesiology, and other interested individuals on CrossFit methods through exposure to the program.
- To make functional fitness available to all regardless of ability level, pre-existing conditions, and financial status; to address rising rates of obesity through physical activity.
- Disseminate and promote knowledge of CrossFit training methodology to professional and lay community leaders.
- To understand the key components and effects of physical activity/exercise-related policies.