1. K-State home
  2. »Information Technology Services
  3. »FAQs

Information Technology Services

IT Help Desk
Kansas State University
214 Hale Library
1117 Mid Campus Dr. North
Manhattan KS 66506


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who do I call if I need help?

A: Contact the IT Help Desk, 214 Hale Library, helpdesk@k-state.edu, 785-532-7722, toll-free 800-865-6143.

Faculty/staff may wish to first contact their departmental support staff for assistance.

Q: How do I keep my eID active when I leave K-State?

A: As of January 2012, eIDs remain assigned to eligible individuals for life. Access to IT resources will remain enabled as long as the individual meets the eligibility requirements and has a valid password. See the K-State eID Policy for details.

Q: What happens if I leave and don't copy my email or folders?

A: Students (and retired or emeritus employees) retain full access to their email and files. Most employees who leave K-State lose all access to email and files 240 days after their termination date.

Q: Can I still use my K-State email address?


  • Students have access to their K-State email account long-term.
  • Employees who leave will lose their email Inbox and cannot send email from their @ksu.edu address.
    Before losing access to your email account, copy your email Inbox folders and messages you want to keep.

Q: How do I change my forwarding address after I leave K-State?

A: E-mail forwarding is an option for students, but not for most K-State employees who leave. If you have a current K-State email account and your eID password is kept up-to-date, see Outlook Web App: Forwarding your email.

If your password is no longer current (because you missed a password deadline), contact the IT Help Desk, helpdesk@k-state.edu, 785-532-7722, 800-865-6143 toll-free.

Q: How do I unsubscribe from mailing lists?


  • Go to listserv.ksu.edu/web and click Subscriber's Corner to see all the K-State lists to which you're subscribed. You can unsubscribe from any or all lists.
  • Email listserv@listserv.ksu.edu with just a command in the body text: UNSUB listname (example: UNSUB TODAY-L)
    where "listname" is the list's ID. LISTSERV will send an email notice that you've been removed.

For more information about mailing lists, see the LISTSERV mailing list website.

Q: What should I do about mailing lists that I own?


  • Contact the other list owners to let them know you are leaving, and remove yourself as an owner.
  • If you're the only owner of a list, ask one of the subscribers to be the new owner, then add them as an owner before you remove yourself.
  • If one person is going to take over all your lists, email listhelp@k-state.edu and state who will be responsible for your lists. The LISTSERV staff will update all your lists.
  • If a list and its archives are are no longer needed, notify listhelp@k-state.edu to request that the list and archives be removed.

Q: Can I continue to use software I've received from K-State?

A: No. Using the software after you leave K-State is a violation of the university's software license agreement. When you leave K-State, you must remove any software you've received under K-State software site licenses, volume-purchase agreements, or departmental agreements.

Q: How do I remove K-State's antivirus software?

A: Do one of the following:

Q: Can I still use the university computing labs?

A: No. Your eID will not be able to sign in on the lab computers after you leave K-State. The university computing labs are for K-State faculty, staff, and students with an active K-State eID. Children under 18 who are not students at K-State may not use the computers. Individuals may be asked to produce a valid K-State ID as proof of their age and enrollment status.

Q: Can I still use the K-State InfoCommons?

A: Yes. Hale Library is a public facility, so computers in the K-State InfoCommons are available for public use.