Skip to the content

Kansas State University

Network and Telecommunications Services
Kansas State University
1105 Sunset Ave.
Manhattan, KS 66502

Wildcat Cable TV Frequently asked questions


  1. How do I access cable TV in my room/apartment?
  2. I live in a residence hall and my cable just stopped working. Why?
  3. I am not getting all my channels.
  4. I'm getting nothing but "snow" on my TV.
  5. My reception is bad, how do I fix it?
  6. I have problems with my picture.
  7. What are some general do's and don'ts?
  8. I have an old TV and I must run the coaxial cable through my VCR and then to my TV. How do I do this?
  9. What is a converter and why might I need one?
  10. Who do I call for more help?

About Wildcat Cable TV

  1. Who is eligible for Wildcat Cable TV?
  2. What services are offered?
  3. What about the billing?
  4. What if I move?
  5. What is theft of service?
  6. What about emergencies or cable outages?
  7. How does cable television work?

How do I access cable TV in my room/apartment?

All student rooms and apartments are equipped with a CATV outlet. After signing up online, at our office use a standard coaxial cable (also called an RF cable) to simply connect your television to the wall outlet. If you have a cable-ready TV, you must program it to recognize all of the CATV channels in order to see them all. Follow the instructions that come with your television.

In addition SOME TV sets may be able to receive ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS in High Definition plus an additional 24 cable channels in High Definition digital programming. Digital and High Definition channels are available in clear QAM, IF your TV set has a high definition QAM tuner you should receive these additional channels. NO converter or set top box is required. During the setup of your TV set you must scan for ALL channels, digital and analog. After the scan is complete your TV set will determine on what channel the digital and high definition stations will appear.

If you are using an older, non cable-ready TV that only receives channels 2-13, and you wish to see the other channels, you will have to acquire a VCR or converter box to use as your tuner. Connect the VCR or converter box to the CATV wall outlet with one length of coaxial cable and then connect this to your television with another length. You can get a converter box from Wildcat Cable TV for free.

If you have difficulties connecting your cable, you can call us at 785-532-5921 and leave a message with your name, building, room number and phone number. One of the Wildcat Cable TV Installers will call you to set up an appointment.

Please note: There will be a $15 installation fee if a Wildcat Cable installer hooks up your TV/VCR.

I live in a residence hall and my cable just stopped working. Why?

If cable suddenly stops during the school year, ensure that you are not late on your bill. Go online to check your cable status. You can pay online and restore service. If you have a problem, call the cable office at (785) 532-5921.

I am not getting all my channels.

If you are not getting all the channels you have subscribed for or are only getting Channels 2 - 13, make sure your TV is in the "Cable" or "CATV" position and not broadcast. All TVs are different but for most it is accessed through the set up menu in the remote.

Quick test: Tune your TV to channel 14. If you are getting the SPEED channel your TV is set to receive broadcast TV and NOT cable.

You can find channel locations on our web site channel listing, on the Wildcat Cable TV card included with your Welcome Kit, or you can come to 109 East Stadium for a Wildcat Cable TV channel listing card.

If you have a new HDTV or flat screen TV during the setup of the TV you must scan for all channels; digital and analog. After the scan is complete your TV will appear. If you do not scan for the channels the TV may not display any channels.

I'm getting nothing but "snow" on my TV.

Make sure the RF jumper cable is securely attached to the wall outlet and to the TV or DVD/VCR. Check the channel listing to make sure that the channel selected has programming. If using a VCR or converter box, make sure that your TV is tuned to channel 3 or 4. If you continue to have trouble, call us at 785-532-5921. We will assist you over the phone or send one of our technicians to your room or apartment.

Make sure to do an auto channel scan for all the analog and digital channels. Not all TVs may get the digital HD channels.

Please note: Wildcat Cable TV may charge you for a trouble call if the problem is with your equipment.

My reception is bad. How can I fix it?

Make sure that the switch or channel setup is set to "Cable/CATV". Make sure all connections are tight. Also, check another channel as the problem could only be occurring with a few stations.

Your coaxial cable could also be bad. Free coaxial cables are available at 106 East Stadium. If your reception continues to be poor, please call 785-532-5921 and we will set up an appointment to investigate the problem.

I have problems with my picture.

From time to time, you may experience a problem with your television picture that can easily be fixed. Trying to fix it yourself will save you time and may even save you money on television repair. Please refer to this list before you call your local cable office's customer service department.

  • No signal:Check to make sure your cable TV wire is secure and that your TV is set to "TV" and that you have performed a channel scan
  • Rolling picture:Adjust the "vertical hold" on your TV.
  • Picture leans to a side:Try adjusting the "horizontal hold" on your TV.
  • Wrong channel:Make sure the TV is set to cable or CATV.
  • Snow on the screen:Check to make sure the cable connections are tight.
  • No picture or no sound:1. Make sure your TV is plugged into a "live" electrical outlet, and not controlled by a wall switch. 2. Push the red "reset" button on back of TV set, if your TV has one. 3. Adjust the "brightness" control on your TV.
  • Picture shrinks:The power circuits in your TV are not operating properly. You will need to contact a TV repair store.
  • No picture and/or a blue screen:
    1. Check to ensure you are on TV and not a video input. 2. Check the channel listing to make sure channel is broadcasting during this time slot. 3. Wait for a TV station announcement of difficulty. 4. Check other channels to compare reception. 5. Check all the connections.

What are some general do's and don'ts?

We have installed cable in your room or apartment in a manner that is consistent with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules. Here are a few tips to keep it operating safely and reliably:

  • During severe electrical storms you should unplug your TV and cable converter to avoid damage. Wildcat Cable TV and your TV manufacturer are not responsible for damage which occurs due to acts of nature.
  • For your own safety, do not attempt to open or otherwise tamper with your TV.
  • If you have someone other than Wildcat Cable TV install the inside wiring in your room or apartment, ensure that it complies with applicable governmental regulations (such as the FCC signal leakage rules) and does not interfere with the normal operations of the cable system and other communications systems (such as radio used by the police and fire department) and other devices.

I have an old TV and I must run the coaxial cable through my VCR and then to my TV. How do I do this?

Run the coaxial cable from the wall outlet to the 'Cable/Antenna In' on your VCR. Older style TVs may need a 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformer, which is available for a small fee at 109 East Stadium. To watch cable TV, your TV and VCR must both be turned on and your VCR must be hooked up to your TV.

All cable connections must be tight. If using the push-on type cable that came with your VCR make sure it is pushed on securely. Also, if you are using your VCR to change channels, make sure your TV is tuned to channel 3.

Additional equipment such as cable jumpers, signal splitters or A/B switches may cause picture distortion if it does not meet our system's standards. Please call our technicians in our repair department before you purchase additional hookup equipment.

We recommend against installing cut cable jumpers. An improperly cut cable may cause picture distortion.

What is a converter and why might I need one?

Older TVs cannot receive the large number of channels offered by cable television, so we lease an electronic channel selection device called a "converter." A VCR can work as a converter. Simply put, a converter is an external tuner.

Whom do I call for more help?

Call our customer service number 785-532-5921.

Who is eligible for Wildcat Cable TV?

Wildcat Cable TV is only available to residents of the K-State Residence Halls, Jardine Apartments and Smurthwaite Scholarship House.

What services are offered?

Please see our Cable Rates page for a list of Cable TV packages and prices.

What about the billing?

Your monthly cable bill not only gives you a listing of your charges, payment and credits, but it may also contain special messages. Take time to review your bill to make sure your name and address are correct. You generally will be billed at the same time each month.

Your first statement will include a monthly charge for the upcoming month. It may also include:

  • Your installation charge (if applicable).

  • A partial charge for your first month's service if you are connected in the middle of a billing cycle. For example, if your monthly cable fee was $35 and you connect to cable on the 10th day of a 30 day month, you would be billed for 2/3 of a month. The amount shown next to the line entry "prorate" or "partial month" would be $23.33.

  • Applicable franchise fees and taxes.

Please refer to the Payment for Service section of our Policies and Practices for more information.

What if I move?

Before you move you must cancel service. We cannot service anyone who resides off K-State property. However, we can help you make arrangements to get cable serviced from a franchised cable provider off campus. If the cable is in your name, you are responsible for the service until you let us know that you want your service terminated.

Go online to cancel service. Clearing housing and dining does not cancel cable service. Service may also be cancelled via e-mail to

What is theft of service?

The Federal Cable Act created both civil and criminal penalties for manufacturers, suppliers and users of unauthorized cable devices. This federal theft-of-service law supplements any existing state or local laws and provides a federal remedy against any person who, without authorization, intercepts or receives any communication service which is provided over a cable system.

This federal law prohibits the unauthorized interception or receipt of any communications service over a cable system. This would include the theft of audio, video, textual data or other service, including data transmitted to or from a customer over a system that has interactive capability. The law applies to both manufacturers and distributors of equipment, as well as to individual subscribers.

The Cable Act provides both civil and criminal penalties for theft of cable services. Under this federal legislation, a cable operator may seek substantial monetary damages for the theft of its cable services. In addition, if the violations are willful and for commercial advantage or private financial gain, the court may award damages of up to $50,000 in civil cases and a maximum of $100,000 for certain criminal violations, in addition to a maximum of five years imprisonment for subsequent offenses.

What about emergencies or cable outages?

You might experience outages on some channels during periods of extremely heavy rain or snow.

Emergencies such as loss of power, violent storms or subfreezing weather may interfere with reception of cable service. We will promptly have one of our crews correct an emergency situation

When you call about a service problem during normal business hours, a customer service representative will attempt to determine the nature of the problem. If possible, the we will help you resolve the problem over the telephone. If the problem cannot be resolved during the call, a service technician will be scheduled to visit your room or apartment, usually within 24 hours of the time of the call. If our workload permits, the service technician will be dispatched the same day.

How does cable television work?

Cable television brings you more channels and generally better reception than off-air reception of broadcast television, since TV signals travel to your home by cable rather than through the air.

  • Television stations from your local area, across the country and around the world are brought into the head-end via satellite, cable, microwave and locally generates sources. These quality television programs are sent to you via fiber optic cable and converted to coax, then fed to your residence hall or apartment.
  • We also receive programming from a number of communication satellites that let you receive many additional channels via cable TV.
  • Individual television programs are produced in many locations around the world. These programs are transmitted to communication satellites that orbit the earth. These satellites stay in a fixed position 22,300 miles above the earth, allowing them to transmit to our head-end. The cable television head-end or control center processes these satellite signals, along with the signals from your local TV stations and other sources so they can be transmitted over our cable system to your residence hall or apartment

  • These quality television programs are brought to your home via hundreds of miles of cable, either strung on the same poles that carry your telephone or electric service, or buried underground.