Final Legislative Update
May 5, 2014
he Kansas Legislature has concluded the work of the 2014 legislative session. The Legislature passed House Bills 2506 and 2231 which includes the following provisions for Kansas State University:
Items approved for Kansas State University in House Bill 2506 for Fiscal Years 2014 and 2015:
- Restore one-half funding in FY 2014 for the salary cap on the university imposed by the 2013 Kansas Legislature. This is a recommended restoration of $949,829 for K-State and $1,500,562 for K-State Research and Extension.
- Restore all funding in FY 2015 for the salary cap on the university imposed by the 2013 Kansas Legislature. This is a recommended restoration of $1,196,484 for K-State and $1,419,764 for K-State Research and Extension.
- Provide $1.5 million for the College of Architecture, Planning and Design to begin the renovation and construction of Seaton Hall, with $5 million to continue the funding in FY 2016 and beyond.
- Continue $5 million for animal health initiatives on the campus, and re-named Global Food Systems.
- $250.00 bonus payment to every state employee Fall of 2014
Items approved by 2013 Kansas Legislature for Kansas State University for Fiscal Year 2015:
- Continue $10.5 million to address repair, rehabilitation and maintenance needs for campus facilities.
- Continue $5 million for animal health initiatives on the campus, and re-named to Global Food Systems.
- Continue $5 million for the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Continue $5 for the launching NBAF related research at
- Continue $3.5 million for the University Engineering Initiative Act.
Bills of Interest
as of May 6, 2014
Testimonies and Reports
Presentation to Senate Ways & Means Education Committee, Dr. Kirk Schulz, Kansas State University President, February 10, 2014
Presentation to House Education Budget Committee, Dr. Kirk Schulz, Kansas State University President, February 10, 2014
Update and Progress Report on Higher Education, Dr. Andy Tompkins, Kansas Board of Regents Chief Executive Officer, January 22, 2014
Investing in Higher Education, Memo from Board of Regents to House Appropriations Committee, February 26, 2014
States Are Still Funding Higher Education Below Pre-Recession Levels by Michael Mitchell, Vincent Palacios, and Michael Leachman, May 1, 2014
Kansas State University 2013 Profile Sheets by Subagency
Kansas State University Main Campus
Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine
Kansas State University Research and Extension
Each year, the Governor releases a budget for consideration by Kansas legislators. Below is a link containing the Governor's Budget Report for fiscal year 2015.
Governor's Budget Report - FY 2015
K-State Response to Legislative Questions
K-State Response to Legislative Questions Fall 2013 Biennial Legislative Appropriations Tour
Past 2014 Legislative Updates
March 31, 2014
March 24, 2014
March 17, 2014
March 10, 2014
March 3, 2014
February 24, 2014
February 17, 2014
February 10, 2014
February 3, 2014
January 27, 2014
January 20, 2014