2014 Legislative Session
We have included a timeline of the legislative process as it relates to Kansas State University. This should assist in the process of keeping members of the K-State community informed on what is happening in Topeka.
2014 Legislative Timeline
Kansas State University Agenda
The Kansas State University recommendations:
- Restore one-half funding in FY 2014 for the salary cap on the university imposed by the 2013 Kansas Legislature. This is a recommended restoration of $949,829 for K-State and $1,500,562 for K-State Research and Extension.
- Restore all funding in FY 2015 for the salary cap on the university imposed by the 2013 Kansas Legislature. This is a recommended restoration of $1,196,484 for K-State and $1,419,764 for K-State Research and Extension.
- Provide $1.5 million for the College of Architecture, Planning and Design to begin the renovation and construction of Seaton Hall, with $5 million to continue the funding in FY 2016 and beyond.
- Provide a 1.5% increase for classified salaries. State universities are required to self-fund the increase.
- Continue $10.5 million to address repair, rehabilitation and maintenance needs for campus facilities.
- Continue $5 million for animal health initiatives on the campus.
- Continue $5 million for the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Continue $5 for the launching NBAF related research at K-State.
- Continue $3.5 million for the University Engineering Initiative Act.
Bills of Interest
as of March 3, 2014
Testimonies and Reports
Presentation to Senate Ways & Means Education Committee, Dr. Kirk Schulz, Kansas State University President, February 10, 2014
Presentation to House Education Budget Committee, Dr. Kirk Schulz, Kansas State University President, February 10, 2014
Update and Progress Report on Higher Education, Dr. Andy Tompkins, Kansas Board of Regents Chief Executive Officer, January 22, 2014
Investing in Higher Education, Memo from Board of Regents to House Appropriations Committee, February 26, 2014
Kansas State University 2013 Profile Sheets by Subagency
Each year, the Governor releases a budget for consideration by Kansas legislators. Below is a link containing the Governor's Budget Report for fiscal year 2015.
K-State Response to Legislative Questions
Weekly Legislative Updates
The first week of March will be a short week in the Kansas Legislature as Representatives and Senators return after the midsession break following “Turnaround Day”. In the previous week the Legislature spent full days on the floor of the House and Senate debating bills moving multiple bills across the rotunda to start in the opposite house for the remainder of the session.
Also this week the Senate Assessment and Taxation Committee passed Senate Bill
Past 2014 Legislative Updates