As a university GIScience resource, GISSAL works extensively with faculty and students from a wide spectrum of disciplines, and has completed projects with several national and international partners.
Since 2000, GISSAL has collaborated with over 40 academic departments, research units, or state/federal agencies across the nation and world. Key work includes the SSURGO soils digitizing effort (USDA), Kansas GAP Project (USGS), and collaborative research with the:
- Universite de Toulouse, Institute National Polytechnique de Toulouse, Ecole d'Ingenieurs de Purpan
- Strategic Environmental Science and Technology Certification Program (SERDP)
- National Agricultural Biosecurity Center (NABC)
- USDA APHIS Center for Plant Health Science and Technology (CPHST)
- U.S. National Park Service
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Kansas Forest Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Construction Engineering Research Laboratory
A total of five major funded projects totaling nearly $2 million are currently underway in the laboratory with GISSAL research staff serving as principal or co-principal investigator.