Welcome to the WGRC Industry/University Cooperative Research Center
The WGRC IUCRC is an Industry/University research consortium focused on utilizing genetics from wheat’s ancient ancestors to protect the regional and global wheat supply and meet consumer demands for nutrition, flavor and functional ingredients.
The WGRC IUCRC is modeled after and facilitated by the National Science Foundation’s Industry University Cooperative Research Program, and is the first and only IUCRC focused on the crop sciences. The WGRC IUCRC is an industry funded consortium directed to precompetitive, innovative research that impacts industry profitability and the global food supply.
Together, we are mobilizing genetic diversity to enhance wheat yields and meet food security needs. Without genetic diversity, breeders will be unable to make the progress necessary to feed future generations. It is the key to delivering varieties to farmers with the “genetic grit” to fight devastating disease, destructive pests, and severe climates. The WGRC IUCRC mines and harnesses the valuable attributes of wheat’s ancient ancestors to help breeders, and then farmers, produce higher quality bread wheat.
- Train students who can rapidly contribute to industry objectives and breeding targets.
- Develop new natural and induced methods for using wheat genetic diversity.
- Initiate rapid improvement of a global wheat crop and improve functionality of wheat.
- Significantly reduce time of identification validation and integration of genetic traits into a market ready variety.
- Develop and apply methods to incorporate high-value wheat traits in breeding programs for sustainable crop production.