March 8, 2023
Severe Weather Preparedness Week: Flooding
Flood safety and preparedness knowledge is essential, especially in Manhattan. To help you prepare, here are some guidelines to follow:
- A flood watch is issued when flooding is possible; a flood warning is issued when flooding is happening or will happen soon and some roads will be flooded.
- Assemble an emergency kit; make sure you have food, water, first aid and other necessary supplies to last for at least three days.
- Ensure you have a way to communicate with your family, friends and people in your household.
- If your home is located in a flood plain, learn the fastest route to evacuate if necessary.
- Stay up to date on the weather forecast, and have a way to receive local emergency notifications.
- Don't forget about your pets. Pack in advance and gather pet essentials to go along with your emergency kit in case of evacuation.
- Avoid driving or walking through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown.