April 2, 2020
Email etiquette tips to boost productivity
Submitted by Human Capital Services and Information Technology Services
As many are adjusting to working remotely, email has become an essential form of communication. The following are tips on email etiquette with a focus on helping yourself and others boost productivity during the extraordinary time we are experiencing.
- Make the subject line clear, meaningful and specific.
- If needed, identify a prefix to the subject line, i.e. "response required," "deadline," FYI, etc.
- Be concise.
- Include a call to action in the first paragraph.
- Make it scannable with formatting and short paragraphs.
- Bold the important.
- Use group conversations when appropriate, yet carefully and thoughtfully use "reply to all."
- Use additional forms of communication such as Microsoft Teams or Google Groups to reduce email clutter.
- Research and read further on email etiquette.