January 19, 2018
College of Veterinary Medicine holds open house for renovated anatomy laboratory and learning space
The College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University has welcomed back its first-year veterinary students for the spring semester with a special treat: a completely renovated laboratory with a fresh, modern look.
On Jan. 16, the college had an open house for its newly redesigned third-floor gross anatomy laboratory in Trotter Hall.
"The goal of this project was to renovate the original first-year space into a state-of-the-art facility for anatomy instruction and collaborative study," said Bonnie Rush, interim dean of the college. "We now have a contemporary learning environment to allow students to focus on mastery of the material."
With the new lab, students are able to perform dissection work using a dedicated down-draft ventilation table with a built-in ventilation system. An attached vertical chase houses a monitor for display of course material and student laptop connection.
A rolling cart provides technology for microanatomy and gross anatomy, allowing each group of students access to a monitor for display of microanatomy or radiology images.
The lab's student success center was created to serve as a home base for students throughout the semester. The center has areas for individual, quiet study as well as dedicated space for collaborative group study. Kitchen amenities allow students to bring meals and maximize their study time. Newly constructed external windows let in natural lighting and provide campus views.
Private donations by the families of distinguished alumni play a significant role in these renovations. To honor these families and individuals, the third floor has been renamed the Dr. James Boyd Family Floor after James Boyd, and the anatomy laboratory for former faculty member Walter "Wally" C. Cash.
Boyd earned a bachelor's degree in agriculture in 1953 and his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in 1957, both from K-State. A native of Plevna, Boyd began his veterinary practice in 1963 by establishing Bellevue Animal Hospital in Bellevue, Nebraska, and continued his service there until 2003. His veterinary hospital was the first fully accredited American Animal Hospital Association hospital in Nebraska. Boyd was a founding member of the Emergency Animal Clinic for Small Animals and contributed his veterinary practice to the Omaha metropolitan area. He was the posthumous recipient of the 2005 Alumni Recognition Award following his death in 2004.
Cash earned his bachelor's degree in biological sciences in 1969, his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in 1971 and his doctorate in anatomy/physiology/pathology in 1982, all from K-State. From 1971 to 1974, he was in private veterinary practice in Rockford, Illinois, before returning to K-State and serving the college as a professor of anatomy and physiology for 39 years. Cash was the posthumous recipient of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Alumni Association's 2016 Distinguished Service Award.