The instruments in the facility represent a substantial investment and resource for the Division of Biology and research community. The following policies have been established to ensure that these resources are available to investigators at the optimum performance levels with a minimum of down-time.
In order to gain access to the Microscopy Facility and its instruments, investigators must meet with the Director of the facility to determine what training and assistance is required.
If you experience any problems while operating instruments, please record it in the log book, send a detailed e-mail describing the problem (email@example.com) and notify the facility Director, Dr. Boyle immediately.
1) As an approved independent operator of a microscope in the K-State Microscopy Facility you may use K-State Outlook 365 calendars to reserve times on that given instrument.
2) Scheduling request must be made at least one week in advance.
3) If you decide to cancel once your appointment has been scheduled, a 24 hour advanced cancellation must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to not incur charges.
4) Operating hours are 8:00 am until 4:30 pm Monday through Fridays excluding holidays.
6) Operators name, principal investigator, department, beginning and ending HT (TEM) or HBO (confocal) and /or laser hours must be recorded in the log book.
7) When finished, the HT (TEM) or HBO and lasers (confocal) must be turned off otherwise you will be billed for acquirer hours.
8) Only an approved operator may operate the TEM or LSM 5 independently. They may operate this microscope for others that do not have the approval or privilege to operate these microscopes independently. In addition, they my not transfer the key or give access to room 7 or 15AK to another individual or give their system log in information to others, including members of their lab.
9) Approved operators may not approve, train or allow other individuals to operate the TEM or LSM 5. This authority is only granted by the Director of this facility.
10) Failure to abide by these rules and policies governing the use and operation of the TEM or LSM 5 PASCAL may result in lose of the privilege to operate these microscopes independently. In addition, damage, in appropriate use of or abuse to these systems may result in additional fees, damage and repair cost charged to the PI.
Authorship & acknowledgement
Dr. Boyle brings significant expertise to your project and may provide data that is essential to the publication of your research project. On occasion, Dr. Boyle will provide publication ready figures, text for the results or materials & methods sections of a manuscript, or consultation on the interpretation and analysis of microscopy data. This level of involvement in a project is usually recognized with an authorship. This may be discussed with you when your project is discussed. Minimally, the KSU Microscopy Facility in the Division of Biology and Dr. Boyle expect to be listed in the “Acknowledgement” of your paper as the source of the microscopy data that is presented.